• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet and finch?

PA parrot

Moving in
Real Name
Tim M
i have a male pacific parrotlet a year and a half old. I am a college student and am gone for a 5-6 hours a day. I feel like my parrotlet can be lonely. I have been very interested in finch keeping but can not deal with breeding. Would I be able to keep a single finch to keep my parrotlet company. I do not want a finch who is too loud and worry a canary will constantly be making noise and singing. I am living in one room of a house with other people. I fully intend to keep my room bird safe and allow the finch to fly around my room when I am home/ studying. Would the finch entertain my parrotlet and vise versa (separate cage of course and proper introduction). Also will the parrotlet and I be able to provide for the emotional need of the finch? I am most interested in java finch but what would be the best specie/ gender for my situation. All answered appreciated, thanks!!!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Parrotlets and finches are so different in behavior that they really would not be able to fill each others' social needs. A pair of finches could help your parrotlet feel less lonely when you are gone, though. A pair of finches will be content, and with many species, a same sex pair will keep each other company (in some species, two males might fight though).
Have you considered a female canary? They are much quieter than males. Canaries are ok if kept by themselves.

Last edited:

PA parrot

Moving in
Real Name
Tim M
Can a female canary live without another canary. If so that would be perfect