• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet Advice Please

BabyBarry

Moving in
Hello!

Yesterday I purchased a baby parrotlet from a local breeder. He is 3 months old. He was hand fed. He has a large cage with many toys and a variety of perches.

I am looking for any advice you may have! I have had other birds before. Currently, I have an Indian ringneck. In the past I have had quakers and parakeets. However, I have never had a baby bird before.

He is currently friendly, but skiddish. I'd love to know how to gain his trust. He came from the breeder on a seed diet. My indian ringneck eats pellets and I'd like to switch the parrotlet over to pellets eventually.

Additionally, at 3 months old, is he old enough.to start eating fruits and vegetables in very small quantities?

I have heard about people clicker training with birds. What are your thoughts on this?

Please share training tips, diet tips, bonding tips, or anything else you think may be helpful.

Thank you!

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
AWEE hes so handsome! clicker and target training are great way to bond with them. I started my little girl at 3 months on fresh veggies with seed and pellets on top to get her to try it. its good to add a little bit of pellet on top the seeds so this way he has to try it digging for the seed he used to and eventually you can add more pellets as you see him progressing kinda same formula you would use converting dogs on different food. and one thing once he confident with stepping up start using the gentle beak method by gently going slowly towards his beak that he's comfortable with and then gently petting his beak, this will help later down the line when he turns to a little nibbler. they all for the most part do.

I would also be careful when you do begin to introduce your parrotlet to your IRN because parrotlets are know to be a big personality in a little body, but they are funny little balls of furry

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
What’s his diet like right now?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a cutie! Congrats! :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Adorable!

3 months is an adolescent parrotlet, start offering anything and everything! Favourites worth trying are dragon fruit, carrots and zucchini. I personally try to offer 7 options daily.

I am sorry the breeder clipped his wings, unless I am missing something in the photo. Parrotlets have a hard time with confidence when they can't fly. They are acrobatic fliers. There is a chance he is a little fearful because he doesn't know you well yet and can't easily decide when to leave or come with his limited flight. Give him space and take it slow. He should come around. Provide ropes or ladders so he can climb away or to you if he wants.

Play the long game with pellets. Parrotlets are a species that does best with a fresh and diverse diet.. too many pellets could cause some challenges down the road. Veggies are a parrotlets friend. :)

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.