• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot won’t use java tree stand

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Hi everyone. I recently bought my new rescue Amazon (Tyler) a java wood tree perch. I was sure she would love it considering her absolute favorite perch in her cage is a java wood tree branch with lots of offshoots and different shaped branches. However, she wants absolutely nothing to do with the big stand. I’ve tried treats and I vet wrapped it, but she refuses to stay on it for more than a second. The only stand she’ll use is the cheap wine rack on top of my fridge and the small stand I use for my caique, which she had a lot of trouble maneuvering since she’s way too big :meh: Do you have any tips to help her get used to the java stand?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
How long have you been trying?

Is the stand located in a new area of the home?
Can it be placed closer to the enclosure? ... furthermore, can YOU play with it? monkey see, monkey do situation. Also try tying things to it that are extremely enticing- thai chilis perhaps?

It takes time to get acllimated to new objects.

Reactions: tka

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
How long have you been trying?

Is the stand located in a new area of the home?
Can it be placed closer to the enclosure? ... furthermore, can YOU play with it? monkey see, monkey do situation. Also try tying things to it that are extremely enticing- thai chilis perhaps?

It takes time to get acllimated to new objects.
I’ve only been trying for a few days, so I know it might take some more time. The stand is in the living room, which is one of her usual hangout spots. I’ve never tried chilis, but that’s a good idea! She’s so so so picky unless it’s human food, so it’s been hard finding healthy treats for her. I’ll keep trying, thank you for the advice :)

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well, use whatever is the favorite- Pasta? millet? whatever it is!
Try feeding her a 3 feet away from the stand on day one. Day two, two feet away, day three, put the items on the stand. She may just need time to adjust to the shape and know that approaching it is rewarded by a treat (not that she is forced to stay on it- but gradually get closer).

The old rule of throwing kids in the deep end, often doesnt apply to birds, lol. They want to watch for awhile, then maybe dip a toe- but be able to retreat. But they are motivated by food- so I would give that a go.