• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot vomit for the first time

Jiminjams

Moving in
Real Name
Sonali
My parrot is suffering from fungal infection and the vet gave me some antibiotics for the treatment. But when I gave her the antibiotics (empty stomach) she vomited for the first time. I don't know why does this happen?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What is the fungal infection? Where is the fungus? Which medication is he taking? Fungicides (antibiotics don't do anything for fungal infections) generally aren't bad about making a bird nauseous, but there can be exceptions. Some antibiotics can make a bird pretty nauseous.

Try giving him some food before medicating and if that doesn't work call your vet and he may want to change the fungicide.

Be sure you don't feed anything with sugar in it while medicating for fungus - fungus thrived on sugar.

Jiminjams

Moving in
Real Name
Sonali
What is the fungal infection? Where is the fungus? Which medication is he taking? Fungicides (antibiotics don't do anything for fungal infections) generally aren't bad about making a bird nauseous, but there can be exceptions. Some antibiotics can make a bird pretty nauseous.

Try giving him some food before medicating and if that doesn't work call your vet and he may want to change the fungicide.

Be sure you don't feed anything with sugar in it while medicating for fungus - fungus thrived on sugar.
Actually the fungal infection is near her beak and has started drying.
I gave the medicines empty stomach but now I will feed her before giving the medicines and also I will not feed her any sugary substances. But can I feed her apple and beetroot as they are also sweet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Apples are very high in sugar and carbohydrates (carbohydrates metabolize directly into sugar) - so no apples. All fruits have a lot of sugar, so just skip them until he is well. Beets have 6/10th the amount of sugar as apples - not good - and enough carbohydrates that they are not ideal.

Why don't you just cut out all fruits until his fungal infection is cured?

Jiminjams

Moving in
Real Name
Sonali
Apples are very high in sugar and carbohydrates (carbohydrates metabolize directly into sugar) - so no apples. All fruits have a lot of sugar, so just skip them until he is well. Beets have 6/10th the amount of sugar as apples - not good - and enough carbohydrates that they are not ideal.

Why don't you just cut out all fruits until his fungal infection is cured?
Ok, I will stop giving her apple and will update you about her health.. Thanks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she heals quickly!