• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

parrot talks only when alone.

vortex319

Meeting neighbors
I know this is a typical issue with parrots. The same issue is with my Alex. It's pretty lively when its caged. As soon as it sits on the hand it makes small "baby sounds" rather than the sounds it makes when its in the cage. any tips on to making it talk on my hand? :) Reminder - it is a fully weaned alex that 6 months old. I have had it for 5 days now. sits on my hand, and now lets me pet it.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have had it for 5 days now. sits on my hand, and now lets me pet it.
5 days is an extremely short time for a bird, lower your expectations a bit.

My budgie Kiwi didn’t talk to my finger until he was 6 months old and I had him for 4.5 months, and when he did I was thrilled because I hadn’t even expected that of him. He talked in the cage and to his play stand before that, but not to my finger.

Mantis64

I know this is a typical issue with parrots. The same issue is with my Alex. It's pretty lively when its caged. As soon as it sits on the hand it makes small "baby sounds" rather than the sounds it makes when its in the cage. any tips on to making it talk on my hand? :) Reminder - it is a fully weaned alex that 6 months old. I have had it for 5 days now. sits on my hand, and now lets me pet it.
Oh I understand does he screaming his cage and makes squeaky sounds on your hands they only scream when they want your attention I have a ringneck they are very similar.

mak

Tooky sings only in his cage. He's over a year old and I've had him now for about 3 months.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Faithlyn
Fumbles didn't start talking until she hit about 10 months old and even now (at a year old), she learned her third word (so far it is Hi, Step up, Good girl). We still hear plenty of baby sounds especially during cuddle time. She likes to shout and sing ooh ooh when we are singing in the house, and the only time she screams is when we talk too loud and she feels left out of the conversation. Occasionally she will babble to herself when she is tired or bored and doesn't feel like playing with her toys but it depends on her mood.

Each bird is different and that being said they learn to talk at their own pace. Same goes for training and handling. Like they say, slow and steady wins the race. Be patient and enjoy the baby moments before they become a crazy talking machine lol. Keep us posted :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A lot of them tend to practice on their own and only let you hear it when they are good at it. Burt practices talking and new words a lot when he is on his own or if I am making lots of noise and also whenever the vac is going..... if I try to pay him attention or encourage him while he is doing his practice talking he will just go silent or only repeat a few of his favorite phrases.