• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parrot scratching in mouth

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
I have a parrot. We have it since 4 years. It was very small when we bought it. Almost a month ago it started scratching inside its mouth with a white sticky discharge coming out. I have consulted 3 vets and have tried several medications in the last one month but nothing worked. It's getting weaker and as it remains in its cage all the time it's too difficult to give it medicine. I haven't clipped its feathers. Please guide me if any one can...
Is it a dangerous condition???

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Which species is your bird?

Did the vet run any tests? Did they tell you the findings?

What medications where you on, and the course length?

Do you have a picture?

These things could help someone reply to your thread.
I have moved it to the 911 Emergency forum, hopefully it will be more visible there.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You need to go back to the vet and have culture and sensitivity done. That will tell the vet exactly what to prescribe instead of giving broad spectrum medications that are not working.

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
Hello,

Which species is your bird?

Did the vet run any tests? Did they tell you the findings?

What medications where you on, and the course length?

Do you have a picture?

These things could help someone reply to your thread.
I have moved it to the 911 Emergency forum, hopefully it will be more visible there.
It is a green parrot . Vet only gave it some syrups and tablets. No tests.. please do all you can ....
Screenshot_20220331-194635_Video Player.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What were the medications (the names of the medications)) that your vet gave your bird? What did he tell you is wrong with your bird?

Why don't you get in contact with your vet again and tell him that your bird is not improving? Your vet needs to know this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm tempted to say it looks like a severe Vitamin A deficiency, but it could jus as easily be a fungal/bacterial infection. This is why you need your vet - we can only guess and be absolutely wrong) while your vet can perform a diagnosis.

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
The first vet said that she is suffering from fungal infection. While the second vet replaced some medicines and told about fungal infection as well. The third vet gave her a deworming medicine made by himself. He also gave a liver tonic. 20220331_200822.jpg 20220331_200849.jpg 20220331_200945.jpg And yes ! I've told the vets about this but they want to visit the bird again. All I think is that they are by themselves not so sure about the medication....
Please guide if you can....

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If they are veterinarians, they know far more than we members of a forum know about them. It appears that the first two vets are giving appropriate medications for a fungal infection. The third probably just added the two because there was nothing else needed.

If you are not aware - fungal infections are terribly hard to cure and can take quite a long time. Sometimes months.

If you are not giving your bird it's medications, she has no chance of getting well.

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
Yes the vet told us about the time duration but there is not even a 0.1 percent improvement and it's even getting worse. All I wanna know is that what is the real problem..... bcz her all time restlessness is making me more tense....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Honestly we can only tell to follow the veterinarian advice. If you do not trust your veterinarian then find another. You need to ask for culture and sensitivity testing. By the way, your green parrot is a Indian Ringneck.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
it's too difficult to give it medicine.
A fungal infection is a serious condition. Fatal if left untreated. Extremely painful and itchy, it's probably getting difficult to eat and drink and that won't help the lethargic behavior if she is starving.

The good news is it's easily treated by antifungal medications when they are given as directed daily.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's not getting better and it won't as long as you don't give the medications as the doctors directed you too. She ill only get worse and eventually die.

Is she eating enough to live with her mouth so sore?

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
We gave her all the medicines on time. And yes her diet is decreased but she eats enough. Do anyone know about a good birds vet in Pakistan???

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know you have limited access to vets where you are however you seem to have found at least one decent one.

It looks like the first vet gave you medications for water dosing. That is really not the best way to fix a real problem.
If I'm reading correctly your second vet gave you oral medications. That is the best route and that would be the vet I would see again. The third vet that gave you wormer... don't call them again ever.

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
Hi. As I told before that my Indian ring neck parrot is ill having mouth itching, do someone know about any home made natural and soft food or any drink recipes for her....
If do then please share.....

Bird besti

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Animals friend
Hi again. Maybe I forgot to tell my parrots name before. Its gopi. So yesterday I consulted the vet again. He said that the problem is not in mouth but it is on foot. That's some severe allergy. But he is not so sure about that and suspects fungal infection in mouth too. He says that that avoid wet foods and all fruits. All he allowed for her to eat are seeds. My gopi is very foody and eats fruits almost every hour. She never starts her day without a slice of apple. Almonds,banana,watermelon are all her favourite foods. Today , I only gave her seeds but she is very hungry and is asking for something constantly. Vet said that it will grow in moisture. Should I follow his advice????

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try some pellets slightly moisten