• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Rescue visit tomorrow!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
1/2 inch bar space is not too big. Can he can get his head up to his eyes thru 1/2 inch space? Seems unlikely.
Did you ask the rescue if they noticed him rubbing/ scratching around his eyes alot? Maybe they can watch him if they are put on alert to the new feather loss.

I hope its nothing.

Hopefully you can get the possibility of any contagious health cond of your flock ruled out soon so you can take him home.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The rescue rep I usually see was busy finalizing an adoption while I was there, so no. I didn’t have time to talk to her about it. Oh and the bird leaving for his forever home was an Amazon! :)

I also heard that they are getting Aomori parrotlets and a caique in!! I’ll try to get pictures!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You could call in & alert them. It would be good they know so they can monitor & see whats up with his eye area since its a new bald spot. Maybe its itchy & it might need to be watched.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could call in & alert them. It would be good they know so they can monitor & see whats up with his eye area since its a new bald spot. Maybe its itchy & it might need to be watched.
Ha! So I sat down and was trying to download pictures and compose and email...and I realized that they were still open today. So I called and spoke to the rep I'm working with. She walked over to look at him while we were talking and noticed it, too. She said she's going to take pictures and send them to their CAV to ask what she thinks.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The rescue rep I usually see was busy finalizing an adoption while I was there, so no. I didn’t have time to talk to her about it. Oh and the bird leaving for his forever home was an Amazon! :)

I also heard that they are getting Aomori parrotlets and a caique in!! I’ll try to get pictures!
:facepalm: why autocorrect decided to put the word 'Aomori' into that sentence, I'll never know! Lol! Is that even a word?

Oh, it's a city in Japan...of course. How silly of me, lol!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

OK I googled but can't find what an Aomori parrotlet is. help?

we posted at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just finished visiting with my sweet boy...who the vet thinks is hormonal. And based on my watching his behavior last weekend and this, I would agree. He’s constantly showing off for me, and the rescue is taking his fuzzy toy away. Unfortunately, this has also made him mutilate himself a bit. You can see

28B4D742-D07A-424A-927E-7A46CB1B342A.jpeg
But the good news is that I have an appointment to bring him home Tuesday barring any strange result from the cultures!!

And I’ve stocked up on plenty of toys for him to chew and destroy :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poop baby with that wound! I cannot wait till you bring him home, I bet he will be thrilled to finally have his own person and home

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor Opie. :( I know hormonal isn't ideal, but it certainly sounds like the lesser of two evils. I hope they give him back his toy. Between laying and sitting, our gcc Harley would keep to herself for nearly 2-3 months at a time with her eggs but she was happy. :xflove:

And I pray he finally gets to come home. His whole world will open up! :loveshower:

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh Opie, don't do that to yourself!
I will be happy to hear he's home with you.
Can you handle him if you need to put medicine on the wound, or if he needs to wear a sock over his body?
What does the rescue do to discourage picking at his skin?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: Make sure they save his toy for you. He really needs to have something he likes to make him feel at home. You can try to deal with his hormones in other ways than taking away his toy. He has gone from plucking to mutilating which is not good.

Did they look into the bald patch around his eye. He really needs another skin culture to rule out any pathogen.

I hope he is OK.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet is the one who said that it is most likely his hormones that are causing him to rub his beak against the cage bars which is causing the bald spots. It is also believed that his hormones have caused him to open that wound on his chest. I'm guessing they are taking the new snuggle toy away (it is different than the one in previous pictures) because it is now triggering his hormonal behavior. I have one just like his older snuggle toy for him, but I hope to at least bring the old snuggle toy so something smells familiar.

I have never handled him. We have worked on getting him to step up on a rope perch. I don't know how it's going to go catching him on Tuesday afternoon, but the rescue worker said she would catch him and put him into the travel carrier so she would be the 'bad guy'. I'm guessing it will be one of the large towel routines. I'm making an appointment for him with my vet as soon as I am able once he is home.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you guys had a carrier that you could take the top off of, you could set him 'down' in the carrier and put the top on?

Or use a small cage with a large door?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an acrylic carrier that allows the entire top to be taken off. It is too small for Opie. I have a small cage with a large door. The door is essentially the entire end of the cage. Like this...

travelcage.jpg
And I trust the woman I'm working with at the rescue pretty completely. As I've said before, she has worked there for 6 years and has several birds of her own. She loves Rocky (Opie), and would have adopted him herself except her boyfriend has kind of put his foot down about more birds at the moment. I ask her questions about budgie issues I'm having, and she has been very helpful!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road