• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Noise Levels - Part 2

petparrot

Moving in
There is a very interesting post here before about Parrot Noise Levels. If you haven't read it, go check it out first:

Parrot Noise Levels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I will also share that list here of Parrot Noise Levels (from loudest to the quietest) :

1. Cockatoos
  2. Large Macaws
  3. Electus Parrots
  4. Mini-Macaws
  5. Amazon Parrots
  6. Pionus Parrots
  7. Patagonian Conures, Nanday Conures
  8. Aratinga Conures (Sun Conure, Peach Front, Blue Crown, etc.)
  9. African Grey Parrots
  10. Lories/Lorikeets
  11. Ringneck Parakeets
  12. Quaker Parrots
  13. Lovebirds
  14. Caiques
  15. Cockatiels
  16. Poicephalus Parrots
  17. Pyrrhura Conures (Green Cheek, Maroon-Bellied, Painted, etc.)
  18. Budgies
  19. Parrotlets

As you can see, this list is about the Parrot Noise Levels on Family Level (i.e. Cockatoos, Macaws, Ringneck Parakeets etc.)

Now i am creating this thread for Parrot Noise Levels on Species Level (i.e. which species in for example say "Genus Psittacula" (Alexandrine parakeet, Plum-headed parakeet, Blue-winged parakeet, Rose-ringed parakeet etc.) are the most loudest or the quietest.

Noise level among Species i want to know are from:

Genus Psittacula (names listed without any order) : (Rose-ringed parakeet, Alexandrine parakeet, Plum-headed parakeet, Blossom-headed parakeet, Slaty-headed parakeet, Grey-headed parakeet, Blue-winged parakeet, Layard's parakeet, Lord Derby's parakeet, Red-breasted parakeet, Long-tailed parakeet)

Similarly from other parrot groups :

All Cockatoos species (loudest to the quietest ? )
All Macaws species (loudest to the quietest ? )
Amazons (loudest to the quietest ? )
Conures (loudest to the quietest ? )

Similarly all other groups of parrots.

I know it is very hard to distinguish Parrot Noise Levels on Species Level, but just share your years or decades of experiences and lets make this list as accurate as possible.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
20. Linnies

In the 80's Linnies were thought to be extinct because they are so quiet and blend in so well.

petparrot

Moving in
Also interested to know about Great-billed parrots, Hawk-headed parrots and their noise levels.

For example how a Great-billed parrot noise level is compared to that of say, Alexandrine parakeet ?

And what about Australian Parakeets (Golden-shouldered parrot, Hooded parrot, Mulga parrot) and also about Broad-tailed parrots / Grass Parakeets ?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is kind of a weird question. You would need to actually measure sound level in decibels, not just go by people's impressions. For someone who is used to linnies, a sun conure is loud. For people used to cockatoos, a sun conure is quiet. People's perceptions of volume are calibrated by what they've experienced.

In addition, people experience different sounds differently and may conflate volume with other sound qualities e.g. piercingness, how sustained it is etc. I find conures to have a piercing call that I personally dislike, so I might describe them as louder than my pionus whose calls I find pretty pleasant.

There are decibel measuring apps. If you want to collect data on volume, you would be better off requesting people to download an app onto their phone, measure the volume of their parrot(s), post dB and species info, then you could collate the results by species.

petparrot

Moving in
This is kind of a weird question. You would need to actually measure sound level in decibels, not just go by people's impressions. For someone who is used to linnies, a sun conure is loud. For people used to cockatoos, a sun conure is quiet. People's perceptions of volume are calibrated by what they've experienced.

In addition, people experience different sounds differently and may conflate volume with other sound qualities e.g. piercingness, how sustained it is etc. I find conures to have a piercing call that I personally dislike, so I might describe them as louder than my pionus whose calls I find pretty pleasant.

There are decibel measuring apps. If you want to collect data on volume, you would be better off requesting people to download an app onto their phone, measure the volume of their parrot(s), post dB and species info, then you could collate the results by species.
Yes, i agree with it. But i am asking for a general overview of the people who have kept many different species. Some people keep various species of parrots at the same time and some have actually decades of experiences with various species.

I also agree with decibel measuring but that will be too scientific and will take alot of time but also worth measuring at the same time.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For my little flock, I'd put the hyacinth as loudest but the GSC2 is just a smidgen below her. Then the yellow naped amazon, then quaker parrot, then goffins cockatoo, cockatiel equal to the lineolated parakeet and last would be the parrotlet.

However, I should say, even though the GSC2 is nearly as loud as the hyacinth, she is only loud at all for about 10 seconds two or three times a week. The goffin's is loud more frequently. The hyacinth and quaker are loud the most often and even though the quaker is small, he is quite annoying and surprisingly loud for his body size. My one lineolated I had could be as loud and annoying as a cockatiel at its worst even though it was much smaller, however the lineolated was loud less often than cockatiels.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You have to distinguish between noisy, which is frequency of vocalization, and loud, which is decibels. Sometimes, people confuse them when discussing this topic.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You have to distinguish between noisy, which is frequency of vocalization, and loud, which is decibels. Sometimes, people confuse them when discussing this topic.
My thoughts exactly.
My friends Grey is quiet most of the day, my lovebirds are noisy most of the day. Measured in decibels, his bird would be louder, but from my point of view, my birds are ¨noisier¨ even thought his bird has the potential to be louder.

In my eyes;
Noise = frequency
Loud = decibels

Me and my boyfriend sit in the same living room, and if the birds get loud and it goes on for a while, he gets up and leaves because the noise bothers him to the point he can´t concentrate on work. So perception is definitely a factor.

Also worth remembering, most of us don´t have all the birds of the same family.
And also, you can´t judge a species based on one bird.
If I only had my Sydney and you ask me ¨how noisy are lovebirds?¨ I´d say, ¨quiet most of the day with odd cheeps throughout¨.
If I only had Aldora and you ask me, ¨how noisy are lovebirds?¨ I´d say ¨NOISY! flock calls for most of the day¨

petparrot

Moving in
Excellent point. I think here we are discussing noisiness.

As an example, lovebirds in a large aviary containing dozens of pairs are more noisier than a single Cockatoo which is loud (and maybe sometimes noisy).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are noisier than conures? Hmmm. I think I might disagree with that.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My noisiest birds are my DYA and my capri macaw. Morgan, the 'zon, sounds off regularly in the tongue of her people. She also talks, sings, does sound effects throughout the day. Daff, the macaw, talks a lot but will give a scream if a need is not met.