• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot makes strange poping noise

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Hey all! My pineapple GCC Gigi makes this strange noise and none of my searches online explain it... the only thing that it might be is tongue clicking from what I've read?

It's a quiet little 'poping' noise she makes with her beak. Sometimes while she's sitting on my hand and happily fluffed she'll go 'pop' 'pop' and I'll replicate the noise and she'll do it back at me and so forth.

It seems to be a 'good' noise I guess? No eye pining, no feather flattening or 'attack' positions. She does it with what looks like an endearing and comfortable look.

She's very healthy and active, so I doubt there's any reason she's doing it medically.

Also, she started 'poping' when we started to get closer and comfortable with each other a few months after I got her ( I've had her a year and almost a half)

So, with all of what I've said, can someone explain my conure's little 'pops' :) ?

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Sometimes Rhubarb mimics the soft clicking noise I make to let her know everything is ok. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like it might be a noise of contentment, but I worry also that what you're hearing might be the clicking noise from their breathing, which is a symptom of respiratory problems. It's the bird equivalent of a cough in humans. Ophelia made that clicking noise when she had a respiratory infection.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My GCC also makes a tongue clicking noise on occasion when she's happy.