• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 PARROT LEG BLEEDING AND NAILS CHEWED OFF

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
I have a rescued Parrot and she has developed some sort of infection or something on her left leg, her leg is bruised, bleeding and has scabs and 3 of her nails have fallen off/been chewed off (idk, apparently happened overnight and she's been biting her leg since it happened 5 days ago).
There's been bleeding
Some basic info.
Name - Tiny
Age - 2 years
Gender - female
Type - Green Indian Ring-neck

Pictures attached
No avian vets in the area and nothing bout this on the internet

PLEASE HELP

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Where do you live? We can help you find a veterinarian. A vet is the only one who can help your bird. Infections need antibiotics and why did she chew on her leg/foot?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are their any vets in your area? I would call and ask if they treat birds, even though they're not "avian". I think he really needs to see a vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He needs wound care, possibly a bandage, and antibiotics, and that's just to manage what we can see on the outside. I would contact any vet, or a wildlife rehabber - heck, even a zoo if I was desperate. Even if those people can't directly help you, they often know of someone who can.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like a horrid infection, antibiotics, pain meds, wrapped, cone,,oh dear! Thank you for helping, shes chewing her leg, feet, nails coz it's an " intrusive " thing on her, she needs to rid it...any vet, can clean, wrap, give meds,,,I hope you find help..

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Where do you live? We can help you find a veterinarian. A vet is the only one who can help your bird. Infections need antibiotics and why did she chew on her leg/foot?
I told ya in my last post, countryside India
If you're gonna look try searching in Mathura or Vrindavan
Idk why she did that, probably irritation/itching?

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
If
He needs wound care, possibly a bandage, and antibiotics, and that's just to manage what we can see on the outside. I would contact any vet, or a wildlife rehabber - heck, even a zoo if I was desperate. Even if those people can't directly help you, they often know of someone who can.
No zoos around here...
Trying to find a vet and book an appointment

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Looks like a horrid infection, antibiotics, pain meds, wrapped, cone,,oh dear! Thank you for helping, shes chewing her leg, feet, nails coz it's an " intrusive " thing on her, she needs to rid it...any vet, can clean, wrap, give meds,,,I hope you find help..
Any idea what causes this?
She's been in a clean cage and everything's been clean and fresh

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Here's a picture (forgive the poor quality but I'm honestly dead tired, keeping her occupied, happy and distracted from SAWing her feet is no easy feat) of her taking a nap while getting a scritch after a long and hard day of resting :)
I think I forgot to mention,
I've applied a certain cream for this and that has showed impressive results, the scab is much smaller now and there is much less swelling...
Will attach pics of that soon

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This looks like self-mutilation to me. It's hard to say why she's doing it - some birds will perform this kind of very localised self-mutilation if they feel pain in the area. The pain could be due to an older injury, joint issues or the infection itself.

Can you get to Agra or New Delhi? You might find veterinary care there.
Can you see if there are any University veterinary colleges in the state?

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
What is the cream?
See the visible foot?
The one with the cloth rapped around it?
That's where I applied it, the cloth is to stop ingestion incase she starts nibbling herself again.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Giggie does this to her feet and legs during hormone season every year. She ALWAYS gets antibiotics, tramadol, celebrex to manage through it. Once they start picking, the leg starts to swell which causes more pain...pick, inflame, pick, swell...
Dr. Orosz found that her ovary swells and blocks the blood flow to the legs which makes them feel weird and then the picking starts. Giggie is also on gabapentin and trying paroxetine. I usually have to collar her and carry her around in a carrier for two weeks. Or give her heavy doses of pain meds to make her loopy. One year was really bad when we started the gabapentin. She was so out of it for a few days but Dr. Orosz said as long as she was eating and pooping, being loopy and keeping her from opening her wounds was a good thing.

If not treated they would actually chew themselves to death.

If you can get manuka honey on that, I would.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
This looks like self-mutilation to me. It's hard to say why she's doing it - some birds will perform this kind of very localised self-mutilation if they feel pain in the area. The pain could be due to an older injury, joint issues or the infection itself.

Can you get to Agra or New Delhi? You might find veterinary care there.
Can you see if there are any University veterinary colleges in the state?
I believe it's just from the infection, she has no history of older injuries or joint issues
Agra is closer but I'm unfamiliar with it, I have family in Delhi but it's still gonna be incredibly hard if I were to try to get there, we aren't having a spectacularly well time with the Virus

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Giggie does this to her feet and legs during hormone season every year. She ALWAYS gets antibiotics, tramadol, celebrex to manage through it. Once they start picking, the leg starts to swell which causes more pain...pick, inflame, pick, swell...
Dr. Orosz found that her ovary swells and blocks the blood flow to the legs which makes them feel weird and then the picking starts. Giggie is also on gabapentin and trying paroxetine. I usually have to collar her and carry her around in a carrier for two weeks. Or give her heavy doses of pain meds to make her loopy. One year was really bad when we started the gabapentin. She was so out of it for a few days but Dr. Orosz said as long as she was eating and pooping, being loopy and keeping her from opening her wounds was a good thing.

If not treated they would actually chew themselves to death.

If you can get manuka honey on that, I would.
I may be wrong but I don't believe the current state of her leg is due to hormones (aside from the nibbling, that's open to the idea, but I think it's infection)
That doesn't sound good, I'm just not letting her be by herself for long periods of time as I fear what she might do to herself
Manuka Honey?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra