• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrot Landed on Toothbrush, Dipped Wing in Toothpaste

KAN450

Checking out the neighborhood
Something made my GCC decide it was a good idea to fly into the bathroom and, instead of landing anywhere else, land on my toothbrush that I was getting ready to use, complete with toothpaste. She managed to dip the edge of her wing and a section of her chest into the toothpaste. I’ve had her for almost four years and she has apparently decided that today, it was time to do this, despite having seen my toothbrush hundreds of times before and paying it no mind.

i immediately scooped her up and wiped her as best as I could with a tissue before my SO held her in the shower to further rinse her. She did not eat any of the toothpaste and there is no longer any on her, aside for potentially some trace residue.

I thought about taking her to the vet but that seems silly since she didn’t actually eat anything, she doesn’t seem to be in any distress, and I don’t think there would really be anything they could do for me. Is there there anything else I can do aside from keep an eye on her? Am I crazy for worrying as much as I am?

Thank you all for your time.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't think she is in any danger.
Toothpaste does have some things in it you don't want them to eat or contact long-term. But a single brief contact is not a worry, especially since you did a great job of cleaning her up.
Don't worry, continue keeping an eye on her if it helps you feel better, but I doubt she needs to go to the vet for that.
You're not crazy - they can get in to trouble so quickly and imaginatively - but she'll be fine, and enjoy your day with her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree. Sounds like you acted quickly and efficiently :)