• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot hut ideas

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Hi all!
My GCC has had a happy hut for 9 years now. It's canvas on the outside and some fluff on the inside. I've trimmed off most of the fluff a long time ago and he only uses it for sleeping and doesn't chew on it, however, I still prefer to consider alternate solutions occasionally because I come across scary stuff on the internet, so I'm aware that these huts can be a danger with ingestion for some birds :sad4:

I've covered his hut with another fabric a couple years ago, but after a couple months I had some issues with threads on the edge of the piece of fabric so I'll have to find a different way to sew it or attach it. I'd rather not buy a new hut because he's really used to this one and it has never been a hasard so far. Another reason is because it has some sort of plastic inside that keeps its triangle shape on all 3 sides, and it doesn't seem to be made with any threads, it's held together at the top with velcro rather than being sewn. Long story short, it has been a good product for many years.

I'm thinking of covering it again with a layer of cotton since I read that it's a good alternative to any other fabric, but I can't say I'm the best at DIY so if anyone has any tips or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have experience using huts for your birds? Any good ones that you would recommend buying in case my plan fails or ideas for DIY-ing an existing hut? Thanks!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can use a fleece no pill material. You can also purchase cardboard tubes which would be a safe alternative. Also, the best bird toys has a pvc tube that might work for you.

Tube

Bagel Tunnel

Seagrass

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think a no pill fleece material would be better than 100% cotton material?

I've also considered the seagrass hut but he's too scared of it for some reason.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Thanks for the suggestions! Do you think a no pill fleece material would be better than 100% cotton material?

I've also considered the seagrass hut but he's too scared of it for some reason.
Yes, a no-pill fleece material would be better than 100% cotton material because birds can get stuck in the cotton and ingest pieces of it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seriously Nutz has this delightful Tiki nook that can be customized to different sizes. My phone is bad about posting links but I have one and it's adorable.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am not in favor of huts as they sometimes provoke nesting behavior, but this bamboo nook is awesome!
Yes, this ^ because I have girls and boys and mates. It only takes one pair to set them all off to romance land.

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the help and ideas! I haven't had an issue with nesting behavior, but it's a fair concern :)

Bought some no-pill fleece fabric online so I'll fit a way to sew that on top for now