• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Homosexuality

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Very interesting article. I've read some about homosexuality in species other than human. It appears to exist in just about every species known to mankind, but only mankind has an issue with it. Odd, isn't it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Very interesting article, thank you fir sharing it :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think that the finch trios are really interesting. Two bonded males will stick together when one has chicks with a female. Both males will help raise the chicks, even if they aren't their own.

I also really love this research linked below. The relationship between bonded birds was more valuable than having offspring.

Study of finches shows they form homosexual alliances

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I see it one way.
When two males bond it's not homosexual. Why can't a close relationship between two males still be heterosexual? I think it's the sexual act that makes it homosexual, and along with Europeans I say close friendship and the occasional peck on the cheek is totally fine.
Yet there's nothing wrong with being homosexual. Who am I to frown on it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think that the finch trios are really interesting. Two bonded males will stick together when one has chicks with a female. Both males will help raise the chicks, even if they aren't their own.
That reminds me of the eagle trio, remember that? A Rare Trio

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It made me think of Vasas, but then I remembered the males are not bonded to one another, I don't think.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
When two males bond it's not homosexual.
I totally agree that same sex friendships should be allowed to blossom and flourish and no one should ever be ashamed or afraid to show affection to one another regardless if it's a sexual relationship or friendship. I once met a young man from somewhere in Africa. I don't remember much about him as I was just a girl and he was visiting our church. The one thing that I never forgot was that he was shocked that in America people looked at you funny if you held hands with a friend. Of course, he meant a male friend. He said where he was raised it's perfectly acceptable for any friends to hold hands. I don't know why, but I never forgot that.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Love it! My two male linnies are a bonded pair but my female lovebird has a crush on one. I tell her all the time that he's not interested hahaha Some same sex pairs do mate, however mine don't. I have a lot of fun talking about my gay birds since I am too:lol:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's actually quite a lot of academic work on homosocial behaviours - intense same-gender friendships that can be very close and affectionate. It's definitely a normal part of human experience that is very important to us, and our mental health suffers when we don't have close, affectionate friendships. In the UK, US and Canada, a lot of mental health campaigns aimed at men focus on getting men to nurture these friendships and to open up to their friends.

Unfortunately we can't ask animals whether they feel intense affection, romantic love, sexual attraction... and, indeed, creating these distinctions between different kinds of love is a human thing. What we do know is that animals do court, mate and rear young with others of the same sex, and that this is widely documented across species. We also know that animals don't necessarily raise families within a monogamous pair-bond: we know that some species raise young communally in a creche, that some take many mates (female eclectus parrots for example), that some form stable triad relationships. We know that some species of fish even change gender as they mature or as the shoal dynamic shifts, like clownfish and parrotfish.

We've done animals a great disservice by projecting human values - themselves a product of a particular time and culture - onto them. It's stopped us recognising all sorts of interesting, important behaviours and from fully appreciating the great diversity found in nature.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
We've done animals a great disservice
In more ways than one. If you have the opportunity to peruse the recent special National Geographic publication entitled Secrets of Animal Communication, it's well worth it. I read it cover to cover twice already and know that I will probably do so several times more. Fascinating...but I'm not surprised!