• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot hanging out at the bottom of his cage??

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys, my ringneck has been hanging out at the bottom area of his cage lately and he's been eating some stuff from there too should I be worried?. I don't know why and how someone would make a cage this easily accessible. He plays and chirps throughout the day and is pooping fine so should I let him be there and eat food or not? I change his bottom tray 1-2 times a week

Attachments

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
One of my large parrots sometimes hangs out at the bottom of his cage and I don't know why. He has plenty of food, water, and toys up above but there are times when he prefers to hunt around at the bottom of his cage. I can only assume that he does this because of the natural foraging instinct that lies within his species. I will be interested to read other people's comments.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Clean that tray twice a day!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Who thought that cage design was a good idea? The whole point of bottom grates is to keep birds from getting access to the waste at the bottom, but having that huge gap there completely defeats it.

I agree with @iamwhoiam - you're going to have to change the papers more regularly (daily) to keep him from getting ill from consuming soiled food down there. He's probably hanging out down here because he's able to forage through all these interesting things that he dropped. On the whole, there's nothing wrong with the behavior - my IRN hangs out at the bottom of her cage a lot, too - but being able to consume soiled food is definitely a no-no.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Oh I see - there is a grate above him, so he goes there when he's out of the cage. I think he's just exploring. As suggested, the cage papers need cleaning/changing at least daily. Reason being any soft foods (like fruit or vegetables) or poops can go mouldy. Mould = Aspergillus spores which are extremely dangerous to the respiratory system. Plus old food will contain bacteria - again not good for your bird.