• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot Ear Rubbing Reaction

Bird4kool

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shia
My 1 1/2 year WB caique opens his jaw (sort of like a yawning motion) whenever I rub his ears. His ears are clean and free of signs of in infection. If I rub them for a long time he just keeps “yawning” repetitively regardless of me rubbing them or not. It doesn’t seem to cause him pain but I’m curious if anyone else has seen or knows what this is :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you can share a video that will help experienced members give you a more detailed answer. (Post a link of your footage from another site like FB, Instagram, YouTube etc)

Birds do a yawning type motion to alter their crops. This can sometimes be normal and completely fine but doing it a lot often can be signs of an issue- a video would be really beneficial.

I’m lucky to get even one yawn type motion from ear rubbing but not all birds respond the same to everything.

Jessiemay

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessie
So cute!! Birdie looks happy

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, completely normal. One of my birds does this whenever I scratch her ears. What a cutie!