• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Parrot does not want to get out of the cage

Trefelek

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Oliwia
For two weeks now I have been owner of a very vocal cockatiel named Filip. In the first week he was eager to get out of the cage and explore his surroundings, but for week now he hasn't wanted to get out of the cage, I don't think he is sick, but it still bothers me that he suddenly became very lazy.

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Deos he have stuff to do out of the cage, such as foraging opportunities?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Is Filip flighted or clipped?
He's only been with you for 2 weeks -- how is he responding to you and your interactions with him?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Give Flip time. Birds arent by nature tame like cats and dogs. Trust needs to be earned. When he's comfortable with you and his surroundings he'll come out. It's nothing against you or your home personally you just need to earn his trust and let him know he is safe with you and that takes time on his part and patience on yours. He's not lazy. Do some homework in earning a birds trust or take him back to where you got him because if you arent willing to extend yourself beyond your own personal satisfaction then you definitely shouldn't own such an incredible creature.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
For two weeks now I have been owner of a very vocal cockatiel named Filip. In the first week he was eager to get out of the cage and explore his surroundings, but for week now he hasn't wanted to get out of the cage, I don't think he is sick, but it still bothers me that he suddenly became very lazy.
You need to make coming outside of the cage fun! Give him treats when he comes out and whistle and play with him.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think he is sick,
Do you have a vet visit planned ? It's always worth planning in a vet visit to get a new bird checked over to ensure it is healthy.