• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parrot caused bleed on claw

MisterGrey

Moving in
Hi

My grey 'mister grey' had a veterinary emergency just over a week ago. He ripped off a talon claw and it needed cauterising and had healed well. (Obviously these things take time so not fully healed but he left it well alone etc) He's got antibiotic ointment twice daily. Basically he caught it in his rope toy and got scared as couldn't free himself so somehow managed to pull off his nail trying to free himself giving me a huge scare (thank god I work from home so noticed straight away and kept him as calm as possible after the event as he was hysterical.

Anyway here's where I'm after fellow grey owners advice...
Problem tonight is that sadly although his claw had been no problem for him he slipped whilst climbing his cage (he struggles occasionally without one of his nails) and the foot with the missing nail well he's ripped the top of skin like a graze. It's not on the tip which is a relief but it's on the top of his foot so now he's nibbling it (possibly worrying him as will be a bit traumatic for him from his recent vet visit when he lost a fair bit of blood etc and lots of vets trying to assist to stop the bleed). I've kept him calm tonight and stopped the bleed with corn starch. It's gone into a small clot. He's resting on the side of the cage at the moment feeling a bit sorry for himself. He usually is asleep now. Should I be worried leaving him til morning? My vets are closed as it's bayram holiday here but open for emergency at 9am. He stresses really easily at vet visits so don't want to have to go to a different vet who is on call tonight unless I really have to as it may get him too worked up and the stress could be detrimental. He seems to be leaving the clot alone. He's sleepy and generally sleeps through the night. I however won't, I will be keeping a very close eye as he's my world he really is. I just want to do what's best for him. I'm probably worrying over nothing as I do panic and it's a small graze, I think his whole emergency over a week ago has me terrified he will bleed how he did although this time it's not his nail vein bleeding.
I feel terrible as he had been doing so well.

He's three years old, had him since he was a baby. Never ever had any health problems with him so this is new territory.

Thanks guys.

MisterGrey

Moving in
Hi guys.

Mister grey is back from vets. I popped him along to the vet as soon as they were open (same vet used for the cauterising). They said it's a graze and to distract him biting at it. It will heal as long as kept clean and it's left alone. His claw overall is healing well from his previous misshap. So vet said it was just unfortunate that he hurt the same foot. They've advised to continue with the antibiotic ointment and try to keep his activity of climbing his cage/flight landings/limit his toys for a few days until he learns to use his claw better.

I pretty much stayed up all night observing him whilst he slept. This morning he is right as rain singing away and cursing the dogs

MisterGrey

Moving in
Noooo, he is back to biting at the wound another vet trip and they advised again to distract him whenever he looks like he's going to mess around with his foot. I feel like I get less sleep now than when my kids were newborn babies. I asked if they can give anything to calm him to prevent biting at the area and removing the scan but other than the antibiotic ointment they are reluctant. They bandaged his foot but by the time I had driven down the road from the vets he had bitten it off.
He's completely fine in himself although I think he now hates me he distrusts me which I am slowly trying to repair our close bond but I'm more concerned he is going to gnaw at his foot like a dog with a bone. His health is most important. Sorry I'm ranting as feeling so low and sad for him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Try increasing foraging activities to keep his mind occupied more time of the day, lots of shreddable toys and Plenty of interaction time with people/other birds - singing and dancing etc

MisterGrey

Moving in
Try increasing foraging activities to keep his mind occupied more time of the day, lots of shreddable toys and Plenty of interaction time with people/other birds - singing and dancing etc
Thank you for your reply.
He's doing so much better today. I have been playing lots of music for him and it's entertained him, he's been singing omg and so far he hasn't attempted to pick the scab at all since my last comment. Hopefully turned a corner