• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parronts of single parrotlets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
As you guys know, I brought Evie home on Saturday, whilst I was at her breeders I seriously thought about bringing home one of his Lutino babies too, but he said I would be better off taking her, and I didnt want to swap her for a Lutino as I had met her first.
Well we are on day 4 and shes still very iffy, (I cant work our another word for it) Ive seen her have a drink and eat some seeds today, shes also been out on me, but I cant help thinking that she needs a friend, she just seems to young to be on her own, and Im thinking I should have stuck with my first instincts.
What do other peoples loan p'lets act like?
Do you make a point of having more than one?
Will she come out of her shell?

Or do I have to go back to London on Saturday to buy the 2 Lutinos if he still has them left?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I brought home my Parrotlet 12 yrs ago this month. He was just 8 weeks old and he adjusted well to his new place. After a baby is weaned, they can and will bond to their new person. Parrotlets are shy at times timid around new People. I have seen this with mine when my Fiance would approach the cage when we first met. Now 10 yrs later, Dave and handle and approach him just as I can. Parrotlets do know their People. You just need to give it time and he will be just fine. My Parrotlet was a sole Parrotlet up until Jan 08 when we added Hoosier. A sole Parrotlet is fine to live alone or around other birds. They can be territorial of their cages, so if I had added another one, both would have been housed separately.

One pointer I can say is keep him around where the action is, where you are, the TV the Family in general. They are very active birds and enjoy being around the action.

Foods, Parrotlets like to forage off the cage bottom, if you can put some thawed veggies, some seed, millet on a paper plate I am sure he will give a check as to what is going on. We fed mine like this when he was a baby.

Just give it time, it's only been 4 days. It's all good, he's still settling in. :hug8:

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
I thought that about Pepe, and at times he seems lonley but you have to remember that parrotlets can be very aggressive towards their own kind, I know some roadies on her have multiple parrotlets that get on fine, but I don't think I know of any that actually live in the same cage as eachother as they are very terratorial.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Claire, your reply made me feel soo much better, she wont go on the floor at all.Helen, thats a good point.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Claire, your reply made me feel soo much better, she wont go on the floor at all.Helen, thats a good point.
Don't worry he's just a baby! Are you able to handle him? Parrotlets as babies are easy to handle and it's great to get them used to being handled. They love to just snuggle around your hair and around your neck. Mine will sit for hours like that. Just find a quiet place you can go, they love to be around you. As for trying a paper plate with millet and other things sprinkled around, birds forage by instinct I am willing to bet if you leave it there he'll go for it.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
You have not had your baby long....he is still adjusting and he is still adjusting. When I brought Maya home she was about 8 weeks old and very shy. Now, year later she is a doll! She loves her Momma and wants to be on me all the time. She loves playing in her cage, flying and swinging on her little swing. I would not get her a friend as I love our relationship together:)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Just give her more time to adjust, she's just a baby and this is a big change for her! Milo is a single plet and he's doing wonderfully =) Just go slowly and spend lots of time with the little darling =)

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
She'll adjust. They can be shy when going into a new home or at weaning time. I have one pair of Parrotlets that I breed & the babies all come around at some point. I stay in touch with the parronts so I know this. I find at weaning time, they can be nippy & flighty but they tend to come out of that. Before you know it, she'll be your best friend. When I go home, Beeper talks me into getting out onto mommy right away. He's a sweetheart.:D

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Oh and one more thing ,I find the females to be way sweeter. The mom of Beeper, although she's had a few clutches & is very bonded to daddy, she's still sweet as pie. :heart:

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
She is a sweetheart, shes been out a few times today, shes not a very good flyer because her breeder did a tiny "nip" clip of 3 feathers on both her wings and she just goes like a bomb out of control if shes out of her cage, shes sat on the top of a curtain, hung to the slats of a blind, hung onto the raised wallpaper and even tried to hang on to plain wallpaper and slid down the wall to the floor, so Im really reluctant to just let her sit incase she gets spooked and hurts herself. Im not happy about the clip but its done now - it wont be happening again unless I have a •••• good reason to. She loves sitting under my warm hand having her head rubbed, I almost feel guilty about putting her into her cold cage, she nips but thats because she doesnt like being constricted in my hand. Ive cut a silk scarf up and tied it to the side of the cage for her to cuddle up to tonight, and tomorow I will be getting her a happy hut. One problem is I dont have any hair now, I had it cropped recently so shes nothing to snuggle to :(

BusterBlu

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carrie
I have had just Buster my pacific parrotlet for 2 years now. Buster was never a shy bird, day I got him the breeder just handed him to me. He's always been like that, he will step up for anyone. I keep a warm blanket on the back of his cage so he doesn't get cold. He LOVES sitting in my hands and often falls asleep in my hands. Buster never liked the huts but loves the fleece rings to sleep in. Just keep working with your bird and she'll warm up I'm sure. Parrotlets love chewing paper, you could twist some seeds up in paper, like it's a candy wrapper, and see if shed play with that and eat the seeds. Buster loves strawberries and grapes you could try those as well.

jsvajda

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer S
Pip is my only fid. I got him when he was 8 weeks old and, much like your Evie-Greene, he was very shy for a while. He liked to be held, but he did spook easily, so I always made sure that we were somewhere that he could land softly if he jumped off of me. It took time and patience, but Pip and I learned to understand one another. I still remember checking on him his second night and instead of being cuddled up with his blankie, he was hanging from one of the upper corners in his sleep! I bought an extra perch to put up high for him to sleep on.

Pip LOVES toys that make noise - nothing makes him happier than getting a bell going full-tilt and squawking at it. But it did take him a couple of days to realize that the toys were for play - you might try to help your little one play when you have her out so she knows that those toys you put in her cage are there for her to enjoy when she's not out of the cage playing with you.

Evie's personality will start to come out - just give her some time to warm up to you and her new home. In fact, there will come a day when you look back at this post and wonder, "What was I thinking? One of these little p'lets has enough personality for a whole flock!" Hang in there!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.