• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parronts Of Chronically/Terminally Ill Birds, How Do You Cope?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Last night due to an un-related incident (nothing to worry about, it was fish-related and we got it under control) I got dizzy again because I got really stressed. So I think stress/anxiety is a trigger for vertigo for me. I guess I'll have to watch that.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just seeing this now, but -- take it one day at a time, one thing at a time. Know that this is probably the worst part. I can't say for sure how you'll feel (obviously) but for me this middle part is always worse than the end. I've learned to have a sort of peace about that.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've been a whole mess since the last vet visit. It hurts me knowing that each day could be his last. I'm trying to find the strength within myself to give the courage i will need when we make that decision.

I'm experiencing such emotional pain that it physically hurts. I'm an anxiety-ridden mess and it feels like the world is ending.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just know we care.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:sadhug2: Try to relax and just enjoy the very present moment Bee, our pets feel our stress and anxiety and that is the last thing you want Chirp feeling. I know its a much easier thing to say than do but do try not to focus on the future. Chirp is living in the here and now and not thinking about tomorrow- try to join him and share some happy moments. If you don’t think about later and only focus on right now I think things could be a little easier for you. :sadhug2::sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also get vertigo but my doc said there are excersises to help alleviate an attack. Look up vertigo excersises online, they actually do help. :)

These exercises are only for positional vertigo. They are called Epply maneuvers.

I'm experiencing such emotional pain that it physically hurts. I'm an anxiety-ridden mess and it feels like the world is ending.
:grouphug2::hug4::bighug:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:sadhug2:We are all here for you Bee.
I really am so sorry you’re experiencing all this hurt.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm so sorry, for everything. Its a terrible choice to have to make. And that you have to deal with this decision and pain amidst all this chaos and uncertainty from the pandemic.
I wish there was more I could say. My first post was do your best and you really really have. You gave this fight your everything and Chirp all the love he'd accept. And he's been strong and brave himself! What a little champion. All the 'extra' time he's had while fighting this is because of you, your love and care. Every day he is a happy bird is because of you. You've done so much to maintain his quality of life while you could.

Try to take small comfort in that. You are the best budgie 'mom' any little one could ask for.
:sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I feel a gaping ravine in my heart. A mortal wound, trickling out what is left of my sanity.

Every little noise he makes, everything he does, makes me feel like a monster. Part of me screams, this is a bird with life left in him, the other half screams to put him out of his misery.

I am a man being ripped apart from the inside out.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bea, I promise that although the decision is hard the vet will help you make the right one when you go to them. I've had 2 kitties w/ rabies shot cancer. The shot that was supposed to help them ultimately took them from me. My first "on my own pet" had the shot on the back if his neck. His lump was as big as a large orange when the removed it. He had to wermar a denim cover on it so the skin wouldn't break when he went in thru the pet door into my basement. We did surgery, What I didn't know was this... When the surgeon cut the scalpel spread the cells. It was back before his staples were removed.

It bought me 1 year more, then it was time. Like you every minute I wasn't being a Mom I was being a fur parent.

My next kitty got hers on her leg. The reason the shot was moved to leg was they started giving them in the legs to figure out "what shot" type was causing these cancers, then so the leg could be amputated IF there was a growth. Her's was in the wrong spot for amputation. They offered surgery we declined because we knew... Not to put her thru that for us to cope...

This is a cancer statistic the vet gave us @ the time of our 2nd cat.. 1 in 10,000 people w/ kitties getting rabies shots deal w/ this cancer. They COULDN'T believe we had 2 w/ it. Until they checked their records...

The toughest thing we have to do is to be strong inside & out for our babies. Human, fur, feathers, scales... We protect & serve them... They choose to love us, & hope we will protect & serve them. You have done this for Chirp for his whole delicate life. There's no question in my mind what you'll do when it's time. I know it maybe hard to come & talk to us, but remember we're your support! Come here when your ready even if it's minutes after or a month. Pm, post whatever YOU feel comfortable with. We will be here to give you what you are comfortable with, in support. No pressure, just friend love!

(((@taxidermynerd ))) big hugs my friend :(

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up for you.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The more time I spend with him the more certain I am that this is the right choice. Chirp gave me a kissy and he let me kiss him on top of his head. Which he never allows.

I told him he doesn't have to stay, he can go if he wants to and no matter what happens i love him and I am so proud of him.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just wanted to pop in and say I am thinking of you. I had to make this decision when my elderly cat was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago. Nothing hurts like making the merciful choice for a beloved pet.
:sadhug2:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I feel a gaping ravine in my heart. A mortal wound, trickling out what is left of my sanity.

Every little noise he makes, everything he does, makes me feel like a monster. Part of me screams, this is a bird with life left in him, the other half screams to put him out of his misery.

I am a man being ripped apart from the inside out.
:sadhug: