• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parronts Of Chronically/Terminally Ill Birds, How Do You Cope?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you everyone for your concern. Today I went out to The Dunes and I walked on the beach with Roxie, and got a chance to clear my mind a bit. I was able to leave the house without feeling awful. And I even managed to be somewhat functional, I made a batch of chop (kale, red chard and carrots). I think I will reward myself with a cookie.
Whatever it takes...
:hug5: let go and let god ...trust the process

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bea, I've had all sorts of animals that got sick near the ends of their time on this earth. The only comforting thought I ever had was that they never guessed how much I loved them. It never mattered how in debt I got w/ their care or the proper food. The toughest thing caring for Buddy is just knowing how terrible his "food" was that my Dad gave him. It wasn't true food but seed. After 23-25 years of that I know the damage has been done.

He's on the very best diet he can have now, but I know the damage is done. I suspect one day he will get spooked by something or just go to sleep. Either way that 20+ years of fat will be the culprit & it will be the plaque in his heart or arteries that will get him. He knows how much I love him especially since I taught him to say it by telling him a million times a day. One of the 1st things my hubby said was that bird will never have to guess how much I care for him. They know, Bea, they know! You can only do better & make improvements as you go, becoming so stressed because you are afraid to leave will not help anyone especially Chirp, if you get sick from stress then what? Who? I'm glad you got out today & took a little R&R w/ Roxie. If you don't take care of you, they have no one to take care of them. My councilor taught me that when my daughter was a baby. I was so sick w/ stress I was barely eating or sleeping. Take care of you & by doing so you'll take care of Chirp. :bighug:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You can only do better & make improvements as you go, becoming so stressed because you are afraid to leave will not help anyone especially Chirp, if you get sick from stress then what? Who?
It's interesting that you mention this. I haven't said this to anyone but @finchly , but I actually did get sick from the stress.

A couple of days before Thanksgiving I started having dizzy spells- I had never been dizzy in my life. On Thanksgiving I was dizzy all day long.

The next day I started throwing up, it was so bad that I had dad take Chirp to the vet so they could medicate him- I didn't trust myself to get the dosage right, not like I could focus anyway. All I did was sleep, throw up, and lay in bed. I couldn't eat, drink, or even take my medication. The next day was more of the same, although I was able to give Chirp his medication. We ended up going to the ER because it had been over 48hrs since I had eaten anything and I could hardly stay awake- I was in a really bad state. Dad was scared that I was going to go unconscious.

At the ER they got me sorted out. They gave me anti-nausea and anti-vertigo medications, and I was able to eat (they brought me those goldfish graham crackers and baked cheetos lol). They determined it was a case of temporary vertigo- and my doc told me it can be brought on by stress. I really don't want that to happen again. I've been trying to keep my stress down but it's really hard.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hang in there! We're with you every step of the way.

I had no idea stress could make a person dizzy. That's good to know. A family member is having issues with dizziness right now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
ve been trying to keep my stress down but it's really hard
So, keeping your stress down is stressful? :D

You’re managing well, I think. And starting this thread was a great idea— it gives you more support.

Don’t forget to breathe, deep breaths a few times a day.

it’s okay to not think about Chirp for awhile— see a movie, read a good book.

:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Take care of yourself...Eat right...stress is not good but you also could not be eating right or drinking enough water hence dizziness, nausea.
You need to take care of yourself so you can care for Chirp & Roxie.

Have not followed Chirp that much so not sure what he is going through but some budgies can get sick young...Poor breeding & early care or disease from crowded conditions before you get them.

You do the best you can to make there lives happy & comfortable. Nothing more you can do & certainly do not blame yourself because there is only so much you can do.

I'm like you...no social life...not really any friends but that's what I want...that's what works with me as people & interacting with them is stressful!!!! Please try to do things you like to do. Watch some movies...draw etc...

Stop worrying that's theres something wrong with you or you can do more...Your OK the way you are & just embrace your uniqueness...

Find things in life that bring you joy & embrace them...Work on that...breathe a bit...take it one breath at a time & try not to think too far ahead of yourself..

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Have not followed Chirp that much so not sure what he is going through but some budgies can get sick young...Poor breeding & early care or disease from crowded conditions before you get them.
I've put everything in this thread- Beak issue - all the updates and everything since Chirp got sick.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's sick...the issue is really dealing with it & I wrote in the hope it might help you. I can't do a thing about what got him there so its not really at the heart of the matter so don;t waste time on me...I can't read everything...I do remember he had some growth near it though...I have read too many sad threads today to get into it all...Peace & Happy & the microchips...still is on my mind...Its been a non productive day but it has made me thankful for what I have...

Well I guess I better take care of my guys & make some dinner as its just the birds & me...

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes stress can cause severe vertigo. I hope you dont have it any more. Feel better!
Thank you! :) I'm feeling much better, after they got me sorted at the ER I've been mostly okay, when I get really stressed I will get tiny moments of dizziness but only for a moment. And the ER gave me some anti-vert meds just in case it starts to happen again.

He's sick...the issue is really dealing with it & I wrote in the hope it might help you. I can't do a thing about what got him there so its not really at the heart of the matter so don;t waste time on me...I can't read everything...I do remember he had some growth near it though...I have read too many sad threads today to get into it all...Peace & Happy & the microchips...still is on my mind...Its been a non productive day but it has made me thankful for what I have...

Well I guess I better take care of my guys & make some dinner as its just the birds & me...
I apologize, I didn't mean to offend.

Basically the jist of it is this: Chirp ate food from WD, then sustained liver damage. Then Chirp's beak started to go off the rails, with a mass growing inside his beak (we aren't 100% sure what it is). Chirp got diagnosed as terminally ill on November 16. He is on just about the last mediation we can try, other than that all we can do is keep him comfortable and hope the meds are helping.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Back when I wasn't eating or sleeping, the stress continued. The councilor did her best & I tried, just not hard enough... Eventually, I ended up w/ head to toe hives. It was terrible & itchy. I tried harder after that but it was a bunch of really tough years due to a rotton person causing the stress. I didn't know you could get vertigo though! It must've been terribly scary! I'm glad you went & got checked!!!

:sadhug:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Back when I wasn't eating or sleeping, the stress continued. The councilor did her best & I tried, just not hard enough... Eventually, I ended up w/ head to toe hives. It was terrible & itchy. I tried harder after that but it was a bunch of really tough years due to a rotton person causing the stress. I didn't know you could get vertigo though! It must've been terribly scary! I'm glad you went & got checked!!!

:sadhug:
I suffer from anxiety...and yes vertigo is a symptom of it. Shortness of breath , dizziness are very common symptoms. High blood pressure is also associated with anxiety.
Life is not for the weak .

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I suffer from anxiety...and yes vertigo is a symptom of it. Shortness of breath , dizziness are very common symptoms. High blood pressure is also associated with anxiety.
Life is not for the weak .
Huh, I didn't know that. I've had anxiety for over 6 years, but the only physical symptoms I've had are headaches and IBS flares (my IBS flares when my anxiety flares, which is sucky). The IBS flares are the worst for me... The really bad ones make me feel like my stomach is on fire, to the point of almost tears. Those are the times where I remember how much it sucks to have IBS. Almost all other flares are annoying but I handle them just fine. It's the anxiety ones that are awful.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have anxiety & depression & I've had passing out issues in my past w/ the anxiety. Stars come & then I either grab or sit because next is going down. I'd get really bad breathing & heart racing issues. Luckily I think we've got it under control, but it was a ton of internal work & self control. I still have episodes but nothing like what they were like once upon a time...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Huh, I didn't know that. I've had anxiety for over 6 years, but the only physical symptoms I've had are headaches and IBS flares (my IBS flares when my anxiety flares, which is sucky). The IBS flares are the worst for me... The really bad ones make me feel like my stomach is on fire, to the point of almost tears. Those are the times where I remember how much it sucks to have IBS. Almost all other flares are annoying but I handle them just fine. It's the anxiety ones that are awful.
That too! I get flare-ups of IBS . Anxiety/ depression has so many different symtoms. Ear stones also are a cause of vertigo. Stress increases cortisol levels , putting our body in a cronic flight or fight condition. Doctor recommended if i have a panic attack to jump or run in place shake my hands it relieves the rush of cortisol in the body. Helpful in taking down the panic attacks.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I have anxiety & depression & I've had passing out issues in my past w/ the anxiety. Stars come & then I either grab or sit because next is going down. I'd get really bad breathing & heart racing issues. Luckily I think we've got it under control, but it was a ton of internal work & self control. I still have episodes but nothing like what they were like once upon a time...
Yes absolutely , I had a really bad episode in April of this year. My husband took me to ER. They kept me for three days my blood pressure was 225/167 . They put me on Ativan and Blood pressure medication. I thought i was having a heart attack or stroke had to hold myself to the wall. That's what stress anxiety attacks can do . My primary Doctor took me off the blood pressure medication it gave me a horrible cough. Went back on Lexapro it took awhile to feel better. I was in a really dark place , i couldn't get myself out of it.

Life can beat ya down . :sad1:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes absolutely , I had a really bad episode in April of this year. My husband took me to ER. They kept me for three days my blood pressure was 225/167 . They put me on Ativan and Blood pressure medication. I thought i was having a heart attack or stroke had to hold myself to the wall. That's what stress anxiety attacks can do . My primary Doctor took me off the blood pressure medication it gave me a horrible cough. Went back on Lexapro it took awhile to feel better. I was in a really dark place , i couldn't get myself out of it.

Life can beat ya down . :sad1:
Yes, I hear that. All the meds on the planet including a few similar to valium, nothing worked for any length of time. The valium like one, in high dose, just made me numb to the point where I either "didn't care" or made me "look thru" problems, many of which I'm still sorting thru years after the fact.

The psycologist, I saw, I didn't really like. I took the time & applied myself anyway. He was the one that, thus far, has had a long term working method & I'm not stoned outta my mind by prescription. I just hope that the methods continue to help for the rest of my days. It's still a little "to new" to judge fully, but I'm a cynic. . . :cautious:

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
A word of advice from first hand experience - you hold yourself together for them, you be there rock, your all they have. They need you to be at your utmost especially when they are at their lowest. I hate myself for not being all I just preached to you. every day and i say that with a growl of disgust of myself i know i could of been better. i dont need sympathy or sorries but you must be strong for them. they rely upon you for every thing. and take it from some one that has regrets. There is quality of life then there is just existing.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
A word of advice from first hand experience - you hold yourself together for them, you be there rock, your all they have. They need you to be at your utmost especially when they are at their lowest. I hate myself for not being all I just preached to you. every day and i say that with a growl of disgust of myself i know i could of been better. i dont need sympathy or sorries but you must be strong for them. they rely upon you for every thing. and take it from some one that has regrets. There is quality of life then there is just existing.
Please do not beat yourself up for the regrets we all make mistakes we are only human I have my regrets as well hugs Cynthia