• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parker has become very unpredictable :(

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was glad to hear about you keeping it clean. My sister got to keep her nail Thank goodness. After that we used more Bactine spray on animal stuff. (Non aerosol) I hope you don't get a scar but it sounds like he got you real well.

I saw someone mention CBD, but what about pheromones @ least something maybe the vet can rule on.

:sadhug: Rain

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So Parker went to a new home today. I got in contact with a girl who is used to aggressive rodents and has a lone dumbo male rat that she is hoping to pair with him.

We were doing mostly good as far as biting me but I couldn't have him even in the same room as Stark or Stark would be petrified and Parker would be trying to escape to attack him. It was stressful for everyone. And keeping him separate he was so depressed it broke my heart.

I feel really good about his new home! :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That's so great to hear that he went to a good loving home. I wish I saw this post sooner as I have had rats most of my life along with mice.

Most people forget that rats are nocturnal creatures and do not really like to be disturbed during the day. We never handled our rats during the day times because nips would only happen when they were handled outside of their natural sleep cycle (daylight). Our fatty ratties were only handled early morning or early night-night hours as that is when they're active and rested.

Another thing to consider is age. Rats can live 3-4 years old but most are heavily inbred and live 1-2.5 years. A 10 month old rat is hitting old age and can be very cranky, especially if he is being handled during his sleeping hours.

If you come across any other behavior issues with the boys you have, give this a thought and see if this helps.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We go with their flow. Around 10am they want food and then around 2 to 3 pm they want to come out and play for a bit before they settle down until the evening around 11pm. So we aren't disturbing them...theh only get to come out when they are clamouring to be let out. Most of their out time is after Ripley is in bed because he doesn't like them and he has to be in his cage while they are out to protect everyone. Sadly the bites occurred at any time of day or night, and when he was caged with the other boys he was fighting with them for HOURS straight, again, day or night. Poor Stark wasn't allowed to eat and stress poops when he sees or smells Parker. That is not healthy for anyone.

I have had no issues with the other boys

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That's so great to hear that he went to a good loving home. I wish I saw this post sooner as I have had rats most of my life along with mice.

Most people forget that rats are nocturnal creatures and do not really like to be disturbed during the day. We never handled our rats during the day times because nips would only happen when they were handled outside of their natural sleep cycle (daylight). Our fatty ratties were only handled early morning or early night-night hours as that is when they're active and rested.

Another thing to consider is age. Rats can live 3-4 years old but most are heavily inbred and live 1-2.5 years. A 10 month old rat is hitting old age and can be very cranky, especially if he is being handled during his sleeping hours.

If you come across any other behavior issues with the boys you have, give this a thought and see if this helps.
I wonder if this is due to American breeders more than other countries? I know that American bred Ferrets live a much shorter span than Ferrets bred in other countries.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad you found a good home! Did you heal up well?

Have a Happy New Year!

:gbh: Rain

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so glad you found a good home! Did you heal up well?

Have a Happy New Year!

I did :) a small tiny scar is all!

Parker has a new buddy at his new home! The two lone boys (hers and mine) are now friends and much happier!

My pair, particularly Stark, are much happier too. They snuggle a lot more, and Stark actually explores the house instead of just hiding under the couch.

It really worked out well for everyone :heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was an excellent end to a scary story!!!!!