• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parasites - Calling all experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
I'm 99% sure my 17 year old conure is suffering from some sort of parasite and we are failing to knock it out. Two blood tests, from two different labs - one in August and one in October indicated possible presence of parasites (High eosinophil count).

When we first put her on Metacam, she did well for a period of time (week or so), then declined (August).

We put her on Albendazole (3 part series), she thrived for a week or so- dramatic change for the good when it came to droppings - no mucus, small droppings, no bubbles. (mid-October). Then she declined.

We put her on fenbendcazole (3 part series), the absolutely looked beter than ever (late October) but then within days of completing that, she is now producing fewer droppings and this morning they were mucus-filled and had huge bubbles and is gradually moving back down to the bottom of her cage after sitting on her perch for a week solid.

Can anyone offer advice? This is the rollercoaster of all rollercoasters. She has lost more weight through all of this (116 gms in August, down to 92 now).

Help!!!!!

Rebecca

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do they know what kind of parasite she has?:hug8:

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
No. I suggested it might be giardia - and they agreed it could be - although it is rare for sun conures to have them.

What tests should be done? Should she be hospitalized to be sure that they are able to identify giardia if it is there?

Redbird

Meeting neighbors
Rebecca,

Have your local avian vet contact The California Avian Laboratory. This lab was created by Dr. Alan Fudge an expert in avian blood chemistry. Welcome to California Avian Laboratory

For PCR testing your vet can send blood and or fecal samples to Research Associates laboratory. Research Associates Laboratory, Inc. at vetdna.com

Ask your vet about the use of Clindamycin or Bactrim for infections resistant to other antibiotics.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
No expert here but I do have a few questions to help try and figure out what is going on with your bird:

Are you trying to figure out or treat something on your own with the use of a lab to send samples to (for blood tests) or are you using an avian vet also? If you are taking your bird to an avian vet for tests/diagnosis/treatment, why can't he/she find what is wrong? Would you consider taking to another avian vet for second opinion?

From the info. I can find for you, Fenbendazole is usually prescribed for Capillaria and other meds/agents are usually prescribed for other parasites. Kinda important, I would think, to find out exactly what parasite you are dealing with so the proper treatment can begin. Even with Capillaria, there are resistant strains that occur.

Also management changes need to be immediately put into effect (if they haven't already) that will prevent reinfection. Everything needs to be kept really hygienic.

Haven't found any info. yet on Albendazole?

Are you keeping your bird real comfy with warmness and with crop feeding if necessary/advisable? Maybe these meds you are using or have been using are causing secondary fungal problems and/or destroying the good intestinal flora? Did your avian vet comment on the possibility of same? If not, could you ask him/her about that?

Would you mind mentioning the dose of each med you are using?

Hope some of this helps, will check back later tonight if I can as I have some appointments I have to keep now for most of the rest of the day. Let me know if there are any specific questions that you might have about parasites that I can try and research out for you.

I'm 99% sure my 17 year old conure is suffering from some sort of parasite and we are failing to knock it out. Two blood tests, from two different labs - one in August and one in October indicated possible presence of parasites (High eosinophil count).

When we first put her on Metacam, she did well for a period of time (week or so), then declined (August).

We put her on Albendazole (3 part series), she thrived for a week or so- dramatic change for the good when it came to droppings - no mucus, small droppings, no bubbles. (mid-October). Then she declined.

We put her on fenbendcazole (3 part series), the absolutely looked beter than ever (late October) but then within days of completing that, she is now producing fewer droppings and this morning they were mucus-filled and had huge bubbles and is gradually moving back down to the bottom of her cage after sitting on her perch for a week solid.

Can anyone offer advice? This is the rollercoaster of all rollercoasters. She has lost more weight through all of this (116 gms in August, down to 92 now).

Help!!!!!

Rebecca

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
I have no suggestions and am far from an expert... I just wanted to offer my prayers for a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
No tests have been conducted other than blood tests (twice - both showing high eosinophil count). No examination of fresh droppings or testing for the presence of parasites. She is going to one of the most respected avian vets in Florida. She has been on antibiotics and antifungal meds since October.

We are crop feeding her Exact 3-4 times a day. Have been since mid-October. The antibiotic she has been on has been Baytril .1 ml twice daily. Antifungal is Itraconazole - Give 0.1 ml twice daily in feeding.

The dewormer that worked the best was fenbendcazole. Believe that was around .1ml - three doses spread over 5 days with food.

We are wiping down her cage with vinegar and a spray with grapeseed extract and citrus oil. Keeping dropping cleaned up immediately (she is in a cage with a grate). Please advise if we should throw out her cage and get a new one - we're open to anything!

We have two ceramic bulbs on her cage to keep it betwen 80-85 degrees.

By the way, I have noticed this time that her itching (head and legs) increases with each day after completing the fenbendcazole.

Rebecca

Last edited:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Eosinophilia is also a sign of severe allergies - maybe check out that line of treatment. I sure hope that you get some results soon - best of luck to yu both! :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
No tests have been conducted other than blood tests (twice - both showing high eosinophil count). No examination of fresh droppings or testing for the presence of parasites. She is going to one of the most respected avian vets in Florida. She has been on antibiotics and antifungal meds since October.

We are crop feeding her Exact 3-4 times a day. Have been since mid-October. The antibiotic she has been on has been Baytril .1 ml twice daily. Antifungal is Itraconazole - Give 0.1 ml twice daily in feeding.

The dewormer that worked the best was fenbendcazole. Believe that was around .1ml - three doses spread over 5 days with food.

We are wiping down her cage with vinegar and a spray with grapeseed extract and citrus oil. Keeping dropping cleaned up immediately (she is in a cage with a grate). Please advise if we should throw out her cage and get a new one - we're open to anything!

We have two ceramic bulbs on her cage to keep it betwen 80-85 degrees.

By the way, I have noticed this time that her itching (head and legs) increases with each day after completing the fenbendcazole.

Rebecca
Why haven't parasite tests been done on the droppings?

Might not help but wouldn't hurt to get rid of the old cage and put her in a new one, unless unfamiliarity with the new one could cause stress and stress related problems? Maybe you could get an exact duplicate of the older cage? Worth a shot IMO.

Not that it will help for sure but I would try Zupreem hand-feeding formula for baby birds (not the Macaw formula, unless your vet advises that for some reason).

What does your avian vet say about the increased itching after Fenbendazole is used?

Could you ask your vet why he is using Itraconazole instead of Fluconazole or would it hurt to alternate the two anti-fungals, since each works better in different parts of the body?

The above comments are just some suggestions = what I personally would do if I was in your shoes. However, since you have one of the most well respected avian vets in Florida working on your bird, you have to go by what he/she says or that is what the consensus would be.

Good luck.

Last edited:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I have a kinda chicken soup type of advise. In the wild, parots will eat hot peppers. The capasin in the pepper doesn't bother the parrot(wrond kind of receptors) but it does anethetize some parasites so they pass thru. Peppers are also high in Vitamin A & C. My macaws love them. A lot of the time , an avian vet can look at the droppings under amicroscope and can see the casings, etc.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
I took Willie to the vet this morning and left her for the day so they can collect and analyze fecal samples. Please, please send positive thoughts and prayers our way that they will figure out what is wrong with her. I feel like we're on the verge of figuring this out. If we do, I think she'll be ok. If not, she's in danger of becoming even more emaciated and passing on.

Rebecca

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
That's an excellent question about why the tests haven't been done. To me, with hindsight, this seems like a major gap in trying to get a handle on what is wrong with her. Sun conures are not known for suffering from parasites - maybe that is why?

If it does turn out to be a parasite infection, I think a new cage would be helpful. After all, how can I possibly be sure that the old one is really clean?

I gave the vet all the info I shared here - including about the itching.

I appreciate your comments / suggestions. Even though she's a respected vet - Willie is not well yet!

Rebecca

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Picked Willie up last night. They conducted the following tests yesterday at the vet's office:

-Fecal Ova & Parasites
-Giardia Snap Test
-Fecal, Direct Only

All negative.

They are submitting specimens for:

-Giardia (ELISA) CITE
-Stain-Acid FAST

Should have results in 3-5 days.

Also having me giver her one more series of Albendazole 1 dose each day for three days.

Bottom line is that we still don't know what's wrong with her.

Rebecca

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rebecca, I am so sorry that Willie is having such a difficult time. I do not have any advise. I am sorry. I hope the further testing will answer some questions. May I ask what vet you are seeing? Sometimes it takes a second opinion to decipher confusing symptoms. Please keep us updated.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I wish you the best in finding a diagnosis, I know how frustrating it can be. :( Positive thoughts coming your way! :hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rebecca, the vet you mentioned to me is excellent! I am glad you are consulting with her!

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Ok. Here's an update. We have given Willie Panacur (albendazole/fenbendazole) for the last two days in her hand feeding. She is energetic, playful, loud (as all sun conures should be), eating well, drinking. I swear, it's like magic.

This is the THIRD time she has reacted this way to the drug.

I've found several sources indicating:

This drug is often used to remove various gastrointestinal parasites from animals. Fenbendazole is effective against roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, certain tapeworms and parasites called strongyles and strongyloides. Fenbendazole is also effective against certain parasites of the bronchial tree and lungs (Aelurostrongylus and Paragonimiasis).

Willie has no signs of respiratory problems but her droppings are large, loose, full of mucus when she is not on this drug. She also sits on her cage bottom looking miserable.

Doesn't this suggest that we should be trying to identify which of the parasites Willie is plagued with and go from there? Or has working with engineers since 1986 ruined my mind?

Rebecca

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rebecca, you said the Giardia would be back in 3-5 days. Hopefully that will show something. Did you consult with Dr. L? She is excellent. Giardia sometimes does not show up all of the time.

RebeccaP

Meeting neighbors
Received the test results back on Willie yesterday. The giardia (ELISA) came back negative and no abnormal acid fast bacteria. Still trying to figure out exactly what's wrong with her...

Status
Not open for further replies.