• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeets in Palm Springs

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If anyone visits Palm Springs/Palm Desert, check out the parakeet exhibit at the Living Zoo (as opposed to the ..dead zoo?). You can walk in and feed the birds. They are hilarious and very inquisitive! They unzipped my purse and took out my credit cards and money! I had no idea until a zookeeper asked whose credit cards and money were strewn about. That's when I saw two parakeets perched on my purse ransacking it! They also tried to get into my pockets! Little pickpockets! There are also cockatiels and ringnecks, but they are better mannered!

LOL My father is not a bird person, but they seemed especially drawn to him.

Here's some pics from last Dec.:

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks like a great place to visit! Is that a barraband parakeet in picture five?

Matt

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, that looks like fun!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wish I could go there.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Are budgies normally that inquisitive?

Love that hanging gym.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
WOW, that's a lot of budgies!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@expressmailtome I think it might be.

As soon as you walk in, the parakeets come to you. They were very bold. My father immediately had 3 or 4 hanging off his shirt. They inspected his baseball hat, his glasses, etc. They were like little gremlins! I dont know how the two of them managed to unzip my purse, but clearly they did it working together. They started pulling things out until there were credit cards and cash strewn about the aviary floor. I didnt even know they were there! The zookeeper said something that made me think she was scolding me...like I should be more careful with my things in that crowd. LOL How was I to know the parakeets would do that!

The birds look super healthy. Look at those cockatiels! They practically shine! I would like to know what they do in the summer. Clearly the birds thrive in this environment and it would be easy to replicate for rescues, if you could manage the temperature.

My parakeets are more inquisitive than my parrots with new things, especially my American parakeet. As soon as I put a new toy in his cage, he is right there checking it out.