• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet update

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Took him to the vet for his follow up this morning. His culture didn’t grow any pathogens and I could tell the antibiotics didn’t do much. He lost a bit of weight. They’re running a test for Bornavirus which is terrifying considering there’s no cure and it’s contagious. He’s gotten worse since getting back from the vet. They took blood and a throat and anal swab for this test so I think that really stressed him out. I came in the room to find him on the bottom of the cage, head in the corner, falling asleep. This is the first time I’ve seen him this bad and not perching. I put some millet next to him and he immediately took a few nibbles. I also put a shallow dish of water down there and I saw him take a couple drinks. He’s been making a high pitched squealing noise once in a while, maybe from the throat swab, but he sounds terrible. He’s now perching again but really doesn’t look good. I’ve covered part of the cage with a towel and have a lamp on him to help keep him warm. I hope this is just stress from the vet visit and he calms down but I’m not getting my hopes up. Should have the test results by Friday, they gave him an anti inflammatory for now to see if it helps in the meantime.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no, I hope he's okay!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I really hope it is not something like the bornavirus! I Will be sending good thoughts to you and your little guy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m sorry he seems to be worse, and I hope it’s not Bornavirus. I hope he can pull through this and something can be done soon!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He doesn’t look good, I don’t know why he got so bad so quickly :(
I don’t even know if I should try giving him his meds tonight or if it will stress him out too much

DE613113-7B8E-412F-94C2-362A9EE70A33.jpeg B26B3B4A-B3FD-4FDC-BBC9-5BA4D0B834AA.jpeg B86F11FC-B23F-4EF3-8756-8ABAACF9BE79.jpeg 1393E543-D686-4CC2-A559-4F06D28074D7.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor little bird. I hope he'll be okay.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’ve noticed that when he makes the squealing noise he also does a motion like he does when he poops but nothing comes out. There were poops in his carrier when I took him to the vet but I’m not sure he’s gone much since then. I’m guessing he’s not eating enough. I’ve seen him eat a few seeds and drink some water but that’s it.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
His Bornavirus is negative! So we still don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s on meloxicam which seems to be helping. His droppings are still small but more solid. They’re dark and the liquid portion is greenish. He has a follow up with the vet next week

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This is what his poop is looking like lately. I’m just glad he’s pooping at all. It’s definitely less runny than it was and it’s gotten darker. I’m guessing it’s an effect of the medicine. He seems to be doing well on the meloxicam but it leaves me wondering what’s wrong with him. I can’t believe that a simple NSAID has caused such a change in him.

065790DA-CECC-4D4C-B384-0612D45DE862.jpeg