• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parakeet treatment (Graphic Photo Warning) (Sad update #16)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You need to get your bird to a vet immediately. Cat attacks are often fatal, and your case sounds extremely serious.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your bird needs pain killer and antibiotic or I fear it will suffer greatly till it dies, its chances of survival from this horrific injury and from the bacteria from the cat is really next to none without appropriate medication and medical care now. We can not tell you any over the counter stuff as you need to know the exact amount of each medication to give such a small bird, you also need to give the correct medication or you are just wasting your effort, money and time- not all antibiotics are for the same bacteria so you really need the qualifications of a vet to tell you which is the correct medication and dosages.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any medicine that I can buy right now for the parakeet? I can't afford the vet right now, I dont have enough to cover vet fees..
Many have had success calling a vet and explaining that this is an emergency and asking for a payment plan.

Your bird will be in some absolutely terrible pain and also will have deadly bacteria from the cat so needs correct medication not just any medication that can be found- anything you can buy over the counter is honestly not going to be good enough for something as serious as what your bird has had done to it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh the poor dear :( He definitely needs help, and soon. Cat salvia can be deadly on its own, and the fact that he has exposed bone right now puts him at even greater risk for infection.

ebelen14

Moving in
Real Name
Belen
Oh the poor dear :( He definitely needs help, and soon. Cat salvia can be deadly on its own, and the fact that he has exposed bone right now puts him at even greater risk for infection.
I know, I feel very bad for the parakeet :(..if I could take take him to the vet I would but I cant afford the fees right now. Ive been searching and searching for an antibiotic and pain meds online but theres none on pet stores. I was only able to find a wound cleanser.

ebelen14

Moving in
Real Name
Belen
Have you called the vet to ask for a payment plan or maybe even the cost of euthanasia?
I have bad credit, I checked with an avian vet and they said 160 dlrs visit only but that was like 10 yrs ago when another of my parakeet was sneezing. Not sure if its more expensive now. Right now im not working so im in a very tight budget.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you in the U.S.? Have you looked into CareCredit? It's designed to help with vet emergencies and there is no interest if you pay within in a certain time. Or just try calling some vet offices and see if they will help. Your bird needs to see a vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know, I feel very bad for the parakeet :(..if I could take take him to the vet I would but I cant afford the fees right now. Ive been searching and searching for an antibiotic and pain meds online but theres none on pet stores. I was only able to find a wound cleanser.
In many areas around the world, antibiotics are controlled substances and unavailable without a prescription.

Call around to pet shops, rescues, see if anyone has resources available to assist, or someone who would want to take him on.

I would call the vet and find out pricing, and ask if they have a way to surrender animals that need assistance that you cannot afford.

Alive, or at least not suffering, with someone else, is kinder than watching him die with you if you cannot get him the care he needs. I know that sounds harsh; please know that I don't mean it to be. This is a grave situation to be in.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
You have two options in my opinion. Find a vet that accepts Care Credit asap and is willing to help you. Second option is to relinquish to the nearest rescue and allow them to take the bird into their care permanently.
Poor little thing is going to suffer a long, very possible painful death without proper care and help asap.

ebelen14

Moving in
Real Name
Belen
Hi everybody! I was able to find a cheap vet that will be doing a consultation for the parakeet for 35 dlrs plus meds. Plz pray for my parakeet so he can make it. Thnk you for taking the time and giving me the best advice. Screenshot_20220707-020109_Chrome.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any updates on this little guy?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My parakeet passed away, he didnt make it ...he was laying on the floor from the cage.
Oh no, I am sorry to hear he did not make it the poor little thing, it is terribly sad news. Did the vet give you an indication of how likely they thought he was to make it through such trauma?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.