• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet - Small wound?

Steph6241

Checking out the neighborhood
Today I noticed blood on my parakeet, Frankie’s foot. It appeared to be already dried and I found a few more drops on her the top of her cuttlebone, where she often perches. (I immediately switched out the cuttlebone for a new one.)

I attempted to inspect the wound and I think it’s located on her leg, just above her foot. It is not actively bleeding. I believe she may have caused the wound with her beak, which is something else I’ll be investigating.

In the meantime, she does not seem distressed or lethargic, but I am terrified about infection. Are there any home remedies I can attempt, or should I call the vet tomorrow? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

Steph6241

Checking out the neighborhood
(Apologies for this double-post, I originally put this question in the wrong section!)

Today I noticed blood on my parakeet, Frankie’s foot. It appeared to be already dried and I found a few more drops on her the top of her cuttlebone, where she often perches. (I immediately switched out the cuttlebone for a new one.)

I attempted to inspect the wound and I think it’s located on her leg, just above her foot. It is not actively bleeding. I believe she may have caused the wound with her beak, which is something else I’ll be investigating.

In the meantime, she does not seem distressed or lethargic, but I am terrified about infection. Are there any home remedies I can attempt, or should I call the vet tomorrow? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks so much!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can keep the area clean. If you use anything, suggestions could include Neosporin *cream*, aloe vera or coconut oil... or cayenne pepper for pain.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Keep it clean. Watch for signs of swelling, parakeet picking at it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Steph, I have merged your threads to keep all responses in one place.