• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet Sick? Or what....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are many reasons for poop to stick around the vent, not all of them medical. There was probably something like a toy or a perch obstructing the vent while the bird was asleep. There may indeed be an overgrowth of feathers in the area. Let's not go overboard on this.
Illness can cause sticky poop, or the poop may just be sticky. Heads or tails. It's not a sure enough sign of illness to get in a flap about or to cause stress to the bird's owner. I did recommend a vet visit and I stand by that. Just it's not something to get in a taxi to the vet RIGHT NOW. This is not an emergency.
I was asking truthfully so I could be educated. I've never had a bird with this symptom, and every bird I've heard with that symptom was ill, so that's why it is a red flag to me. I didn't say it was an emergency, either, just that I personally would still take the bird in if it were mine.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I was asking truthfully so I could be educated. I've never had a bird with this symptom, and every bird I've heard with that symptom was ill, so that's why it is a red flag to me. I didn't say it was an emergency, either, just that I personally would still take the bird in if it were mine.
We seem to have had totally different experiences. I've seen plenty of birds with dirty rumps and that's it, just dirty rumps. I've even seen it on these forums. A new member comes on with a young bird with poop stuck to it's rump feathers and everyone who answered their post has been pushing them to get the bird to the vet, they must have a serious infection. It's not always the case.
To be frank, I'd never seen so much fuss over a dirty bum before I came here. I just feel the need to balance the general opinion sometimes, rather than panic a new parront.
My original response wasn't aimed directly at you @Mizzely, but at everyone in general.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've seen plenty of birds with dirty rumps and that's it, just dirty rumps.
My Adélie consistently gets poop all under there because she can´t have a grate, she spends a lot of time on the floor and walks through poops even if I swap papers often. So a little poop under the tail could be explained by so many things.
I don´t know if you missed that OPs bird seems to have been straining,
When she trying to Poop Nothing drops
Which is why every member suggested a vet visit.
Just it's not something to get in a taxi to the vet RIGHT NOW
A new member comes on with a young bird with poop stuck to it's rump feathers and everyone who answered their post has been pushing them to get the bird to the vet
Not one member here said ¨asap¨ or ¨do it now¨. At the end of the day, we are all just other bird owners offering some suggestions, we are not vets. We do not know if there is or is not something wrong with this bird. The OP can decide what they wish to do with their birds.
AA is not here to replace vet care.

@PippinLovebird I hope your bird is pooping normally again and doing better :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don´t know if you missed that OPs bird seems to have been straining,
OP never said straining, unless trying to do something automatically implies straining these days.
I say what I see. I see the bird is trying to poop bur honestly we didn't know if it was or it wasn't because there was poop in the way.
Not one member here said ¨asap¨ or ¨do it now¨.
Okay, I admit no-one said that, but in the same vein no-one thought of washing the poop off to relieve any external constipation.
Then there's the tail bobbing. One member was straight in there with the suggestion of respiratory problems rather than asking how much it's bobbing. Tails Bob because the bird is breathing. Scaring someone with the suggestion that their bird is seriously ill is not going to help either of them. If this is a serious problem why isn't this thread moved to 911, a forum I ignore?
People are too fast into diagnosing instead of looking at the overall picture and asking relevant questions, and actually helping.

Last edited:

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
There are many reasons for poop to stick around the vent, not all of them medical. There was probably something like a toy or a perch obstructing the vent while the bird was asleep. There may indeed be an overgrowth of feathers in the area. Let's not go overboard on this.
Illness can cause sticky poop, or the poop may just be sticky. Heads or tails. It's not a sure enough sign of illness to get in a flap about or to cause stress to the bird's owner. I did recommend a vet visit and I stand by that. Just it's not something to get in a taxi to the vet RIGHT NOW. This is not an emergency.
Yes, I understand this. She has gotten more comfortable around me and eats and drinks around me. She seems like a very happy bird, I believe the poop stuck to the vent was stress, and feather overgrowth. Because after we cleaned her vent and trimmed some feathers around there she is completely fine now, But I do understand that her being a new bird, we should still schedule a vet appointment. Thanks for all the opinions and help everyone! :)

:rflb:Pippin:tiel2:Sunshine:budgie9:Twitter

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Do you have a window in the room that you can put your new parakeet in front of? Maybe she'll perk up a bit with the sunlight and being able to see other wild birds.