• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Parakeet not standing on leg after attack - help? !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyra

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
A nice person on another forum told me to try here, so don't shoot me if I'm in the wrong place. :) (Although you are allowed to stomp on my foot)

I've got two adorable lovebirds who were not getting along, so the female - Madam Love - ended up with Mr. Keet - a Parakeet. My daughter named them. Madam is aggressive, but she handles Mr. Keet fairly well - until tonight. I walked in the room to find Madam had shoved Mr. Keet on the floor and was standing on him - like birds do when they mate, except she was trying to rip off his leg. I got Madam off pretty quickly, and shoved her back with her mate, but Mr. Keet isn't doing so well. Madam ripped the skin off his leg in several places, as well as a couple feathers on his belly near his leg so he's bleeding there. The bleeding stopped almost as soon as I put Madam away with her mate, but now Mr. Keet refuses to move his leg. :( He hops around his cage on one foot if he moves, and is panting like he's still in shock. I'm worried that Madam may have broken his leg or something - she can be rather mean when provoked, sadly. He's not finger trained, but I pulled Mr. Keet out of the cage and tried touching his foot to see if he would stand on me. He won't even curl his foot to protect it like most birds do. When he flies he refuses to use that leg, so he's running into walls of his cage since flying is the only way he can get around without his foot. *If* he ends up on a wall he *will* gently put his foot on the wall, but it's more like it got stuck there than he was actually holding on. The only vet within about an hour's drive is out of town until Friday, so I'm worried for the little creature. :( Is there a way to tell if his leg is broken? And what can I do for him until I can get him to a vet? I've only worked with a plucker before (And that isn't working out too well) so I'm totally in the dark here! What do I do with him? My daughter is worrying herself silly wondering what to do. :( I don't want him to die on me or something. . .

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Someone who knows more will come along, but what I would do is put him into a smaller cage, like his travel cage, put a towel down, pad it, etc. I would also make sure he's nice and toasty, maybe put a space heater on for him?

I really would not wait until Friday to see someone, are you sure there is no one else around? Any vet you can call and ask what to do?

I really hope he's ok.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
you need to make a hosp cage for him..get him warm,i would give him some karo syrup and water for shock..he can die from shock..

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
do you have a heating pad

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Agree in getting him into a small cage if you have one (if not do you have a LARGE plactic container with a lid you can drill holes into and around the sides of the container? put in a towel on the bottom and dishes with food / water....and a heating pad on low wrapped in a towel and the container sitting on it....I also would place him in a room that is quiet and dimmly lit....this will help him from being on ALERT with the other birds around him and causing more stress....like Tanya said...he is in shock....if you have cayenne pepper, apply it to the area where he was bleeding and skinned on his leg (you will need to wrap him in a wash cloth and slowly check out his leg by feeling with your thrumb and finger down it and very gently move it....by wrapping him and hold him 'gentle' NO Squeezing, you can check him out to see if you feel any bone....it could be she hit a nerve when biting his leg...and YES female Love birds can kill other birds....even their mates....when protecting THEIR territory...so be very careful with her in the future and any birds in that room...The cayenne will help heal/kill the pain and if he eats some, that will be OK because it helps inside also....but keeping him warm (air temp around him at least 80º) and quiet with out the other birds around is the best meds right now until you can get to the vet.....
Please keep in touch and let us know how he is doing...and don't put him back with the Love birds when this is over....:hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I hope the little guy will be okay and he makes a quick recovery. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH and Zyra, we DO NOT STOMP on friends...we do our best to help them....and we ALL have had issues come up where our birds have been hurt....We want to CALM each other down (that is the BEST way to help our birds), give information that WE have been through and learned from each other/and our vets and make sure our birds recover.....Welcome to AA and I'm sorry it is on 911 that you have posted/found us but glad you are here....

Zyra

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for your lovely suggestions! Mr. Keet is doing better today. He still won't stand on his leg, but he's eating and hopping around the cage. I checked his foot today, and it doesn't seem broken. It just looks like it went through a cheese grater. . . Madam is going nowhere near him again! I'm not too happy with her currently. I think Mr. Keet will be okay now, he's not showing signs of shock anymore, but he refuses to sing and just sits in the corner. Is there any way to clean his leg? He has some dried blood on his leg/feathers that gets stray feathers. I think what happened is Mr. Keet got too near Madam's bird house when she was nesting and she got annoyed and attacked him. I've never had that problem before, but it only takes once to learn your lesson.

twokidzmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I think that you need to get him to an avian vet. My linnie, Boo, stopped using a leg. I never saw anything happen to him. But he totally didn't use it. I brought him to the vet. Xrays showed that nothing was broken. She gave us what she called "birdy motrin" and within 5 days he was using his leg fine. But I leg it go on for weeks before I took him in. I kept hoping it would get better cause the vet is a 2 hour drive one way for me. But I wish that I hadn't waited so long!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Zyra, is he sitting on a perch or on the bottom of his cage? It is going to take some time for it to heal....please keep him in his cage (safe) for at least 3-5 days...this will give him body time to heal...as for cleaning him up...can you handle him? did you put any cayenne on the bites on the leg? This will help with the healing process and kill any pain he might have in it... Curing With Cayenne - Amazing healing power of cayenne pepper
Both of these sites will explain the benefits of cayenne pepper and their healing agent.... Been using it for years with my flock of birds and myself!
HolisticBird and HolisticBirds
Normally, birds will clean themselves up from the blood...just give him time to adjust...make sure he is eating and drinking also....You might want to keep some Coconut water on hand...it really helps birds that go into shock/dehydrate etc....but only give it for a couple of days...not something to continue for them to have....
Just a heads up also....Female Love birds can be killers to other birds when nesting!!!!!! even their own mates....:hug8:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Best of luck to your little 'keet :hug8: I think everyone else said it wonderfully and gave you some good advice. I just wanted to give you my best wishes on his recovery!

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I don't know where you live, but I think ANY vet at this point is better than no vet. Any vet can diagnose a broken leg & fix it. We owe it to our birds to educate ourselves in their husbandry, & we also MUST do our part in alleviating their suffering, esp when it's our fault the bird has been injured. Please take him to a vet ASAP.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree with April. If it's broken, he's suffering and you need to at least see a vet to get some pain meds. It's possible it can't be set, but pain meds would go along way in helping his recovery.

Ginger

Zyra

Avenue Veteran
Mr. Keet has a vet appointment Monday - the earliest I can afford to get him in. Until then he seems to be doing much better. I had to move the perches around in his cage so he can get around easier, and move his water dish so he is able to drink. He's using his foot a little if he's scared and trying to move out of your way. I've got some stuff on his leg to help with the healing now. Thank you again for all the well wishes and advice! :) My daughter has stopped worrying now that we have cayenne on his leg. :) Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, and I won't put Madam in with him again.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Zyra, I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but the thought of a bird (or anything) suffering needlessly drives me crazy! I really can't urge strongly enough that you do some reading about your birds & their care. You can find all kinds of books in the library on parrot care. Lovies are VERY territorial, & will even kill their own kind. I believe you said the Lovie was sitting on eggs? Of course she would attack! Your budgie didn't have a chance. If his leg is broken, the shock & pain could be fatal. Is there no vet close by that he could go to?

Zyra

Avenue Veteran
For some reason my post didn't go through, so I'll post again. :)

I HAVE talked to the vet. She thinks he'll be okay until Monday based on what I've told her. He's not in shock or anything, and he IS standing on his leg once in a while. I'd take him to another vet, but I am a single mother with six kids and the nearest vet is over two hours away (We live up in the mountains) I can't exactly leave my kids home, and taking them with me is out of the question. I promise that I'm taking very good care of him. :) My daughter would panic and cry all day otherwise. Mr. Keet has been with Madam Love off and on for the last year - sometimes for months at a time. This is the first time she's had any problems. Madam is too old to nest these days - she hasn't laid an egg in years. I *think* what happened is that Mr. Keet got too close to her bird house (Her favorite toy) and she defended her turf before it turned into her trying to tear off his leg. Mr. Keet's been with her for three months currently while I work on her mate's plucking issue so they've gotten along fine before. I've owned Madam Love for 8+ years without any problems before. But it only takes once to learn. :)

lainyg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elaine
I hope Mr. Keet is feeling better today. He might not have done anything to Madam Love at all. I have a nesting 'tiel right now and holy hormones! I had to set up a third cage for poor TJ because she was attacking him. He didn't do anything to provoke her, didn't go anywhere near her nest, was just sitting at the top of the cage minding his own business! She got up off her eggs and climbed up to where he was and attacked him and started to chase him! It was only seconds before we were able to intervene so she didn't get a chance to hurt him...this time. We just adopted this pair and he's missing a claw...I'm pretty sure she had something to do with that! If you have a look around this site you should be able to find some suggestions for helping Madame Love curb her nesting habit. Since she's not breeding it might be best for everybirdy involved if you could change some of the things in her environment and keep her hormones in check.Good luck :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.