• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet health question

CandyCandy

Checking out the neighborhood
hello,
This looks like a great place.
I am worried about my parakeet named Candy. He is a very sweet guy but lately he has been opening his beak up as if in pain and he is taking a lot of naps. I am not sure if the pain comes from the right side of his neck and or also his right foot. Sometimes when I go to rub his neck he doesn’ Want and does that beak move other times he is happy getting rubbed for 1/2 hour. Sometimes when he comes on my hand he lets out a screech and the same mouth in pain movement. I think it’s his right leg that bothers him when he comes on my hand. In the past he has had lupron shots for his testicles, about 3 months ago I took him to the vet and the vet checked under the bottom of his feet and said they looked good he is not spending too much time on one foot.
Other times he is himself and is eating well and visiting with my two other birds even argues with them over the corn on the cob etc. and is active and took a bath this week. Makes me wonder if it could be something like arthritis where the pain comes and goes? I am trying to figure out what it is and was wondering if anyone has had the similar experience and what they found out it was or what they did to improve it. I’m thinking of taking him to my avian vet next week he just hates going so much and gets so stressed. Right now he is back to happily regurgitating on his mirror after going eating food and now he’s off eating other food again and if you’d see him now he looks perfectly healthy and his eyes look bright and smiley but before he was sitting and kept closing his eyes and tucking his head in his back and his eyes looked more lethargic. Also want to mention that he has been doing his molting near the end now so maybe that makes him tired too. But my main concern is the sudden pained opening his beak. If anyone has experienced this and knows what it’s related to I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds will hide their illnesses because they are prey animals subject to attack from a predator animal at any time and place. That is how that look at it. I advise you to take you bird to an avian vet for gram stains of crop and droppings. Thanks for being sensitive to your birds health.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even if he hates going to the vet and gets stressed it would be the best for him to take him to the vet so he can be diagnosed and treated. Hoping all will be well with Candy and welcome to AA.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your bird will be okay! How old is he? Let us know how the vet goes!

CandyCandy

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for all your replies :)
Tiel Feathers:
He is around 9 years old I think, my Mom had him than I took him and so I don’t know exactly how old so I’m estimating 9.

Has anyone experienced that with their bird opening his beak in pain? And what did it turn out to be?

Thanks again for the nice messages