• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeet has noise in lungs

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
After that first shot that the Dr. gave her in the office, it has been all oral. She gets it twice a day and that would be too many needle injuries for twice a day since 2001. She is the best she has been for the whole time, but it has taken lots of medical care and consistent nursing by me. Ask your Dr. about enalipril and benazipril when you see him on Monday. Those are the two most common heart meds in humans and in birds.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Oh thank you! His follow up appointment isn't until Friday, but I may see if I can get in a couple days early. She did say 5-7 days, and Friday would make it 7. Anyway, I will most definitely all about the need when I do go in. He does seem like he's breathing a little easier. I hope that continues. He got to flying yesterday, unintentionally, and started beeping again which broke our hearts to hear. I know there's still fluid where it shouldn't be, but it's still painful for us to know he hurts in any way. We're just trying to fix that and want him to get better, at least to the point where he can fly without pain or discomfort.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don'r let him fly, if you want him to improve. Flying is a heck of a drain/stress on the heart. Keep him quiet and still as possible until you can determine if he will improve.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Yeah, the flying was definitely NOT something we intended on letting him do. He wriggled out of my hands. Hasn't happened since though.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Fluid in the lungs...had to go back and look. But this is what Hachi was on for her heart and arthritis. Elvis was also on similar doses except for the lasix (as needed) since she was worried about weight loss. Hachi weighed 60 grams.

Sildenifil-0.05 mls every 8 hours (added for crackling in lungs and visual cloudiness in xray)
Lasix-0.05 mls every 12 hours
Enalapril-0.07 mls every 12 hours

Arthritis

Celebrex-0.03 mls every 12 hours
Tramadol-.09 mls every 12 hours
Glucosamine .03 every 12 hours

Cardiac Formula omega oil compound

Last edited:

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Well, Buddy is still staying with us, strongly I might add. I'm quite glad we caught this at all, much less in time to do anything about it. We aren't going to Dr. J anymore, she was too "wait and see" and not really proactive enough. I love her for her help in the past, but it just wasn't working anymore. The Dr. we're seeing now for Buddy is amazingly straight forward and proactively trying to figure out what was going on. She gave Buddy his one exam all over, and thoroughly, and she had a diagnosis. And the needs she gave him actually did something other than torture him with every dose. It's actually helping him. For how long I'm not sure, but at least for now he's more at ease when he's breathing. More updates later. Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts and prayers

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Hello everyone! Well Buddy had his one week follow up yesterday, and Dr Hughes couldn't be happier with his progress. She said that there isn't any crackling left in his lungs. Which is amazing! But there is still some excess fluid, so she has us down to 1 dose per day. Buddy is much happier for getting medicated less often!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. That's excellent news. Hope that Buddy continues to improve!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We so appreciate updates, especially when there is improvement.