• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet Dehydration or sickness?

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
Hey guys so I'm having an emergency with one of my sister's parakeets. He ran from my hands like usual this morning when I tries to touch him but now he is really weak and his feet barely respond to touch and a weird blue color that she says they have always been. He has always been docile, so I'm wondering if one of the other birds hurt him for some reason, as it also appears he has a swollen eye. We tried to give him water by dropping it in his mouth but he sneezed it up and is now just laying there, possibly sleeping. Do you know what is wrong with him? :/

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Avian vet ASAP. Blue feet aren't normal! Birds hide their illnesses until they absolutely cannot anymore. If he *acts sick* then he is very sick and needs medical attention. Whereabouts do you live? State/province? We can help locate an avian veterinarian for you. Please remember that with little birds, their health can decline very quickly.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
Avian vet ASAP. Blue feet aren't normal! Birds hide their illnesses until they absolutely cannot anymore. If he *acts sick* then he is very sick and needs medical attention. Whereabouts do you live? State/province? We can help locate an avian veterinarian for you. Please remember that with little birds, their health can decline very quickly.
I live in Montana. My mom told me the vet would be closed so I didn't call the one I know of. Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That bird is deathly sick. I hope he lives to see tomorrow. Getting him medical attention is extremely urgent. Waiting is not really an option.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
That bird is deathly sick. I hope he lives to see tomorrow. Getting him medical attention is extremely urgent. Waiting is not really an option.
The problem is I called both vets I know of and they were closed, except for the trauma emergency center but they don't have an avian vet on staff right now. I'm not sure what else to do for him..

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Even an emergency vet without a avian vet on site may help. They can probably do *something* for him until an avian vet gets in.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Keep him very warm (75 - 85 degrees) and calm in a darkened quiet place. Try to give him some plain Pedialyte for dehydration (dip your finger in it and put it on his tongue/beak if he won't take it himself) and get to a vet as quickly s humanly possible. My thoughts are with you and the little guy.

I agree with Erica. They will still be able to stabilze him and give him oxygen at the minimum.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
Even an emergency vet without a avian vet on site may help. They can probably do *something* for him until an avian vet gets in.
I called them and they said they won't see him.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
Keep him very warm (75 - 85 degrees) and calm in a darkened quiet place. Try to give him some plain Pedialyte for dehydration (dip your finger in it and put it on his tongue/beak if he won't take it himself) and get to a vet as quickly s humanly possible. My thoughts are with you and the little guy.

I agree with Erica. They will still be able to stabilze him and give him oxygen at the minimum.
Okay, thank you.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
I just wanted to say thank you again and let you guys know that he slipped out while I was calling vets. I'm pretty sure he fell asleep and just let go, so I am kind of relieved as far as that goes because at least he wasn't completely suffering at the end. I think he was sick when we bought him, honestly, and should have taken him in but at least he wasn't always down. A good majority of the time he was running around and flying with the other three so...
We did bury him and give him a little headstone thing.
Just wanted to let you all know I appreciate your willingness to help. I'm sure he did/would have too.
Thank you ^^

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Sorry for your loss. :(