• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet chatter

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
So I recused this lil make parakeet, we’ve been calling Gary. Parakeets have never been a species of parrot that I was interested in. This guy is like non stop energy. He is clipped, but I am letting his wings grow in, he seems to have more confidence. But the only time this guy is quiet is when he is eating or sleeping. I love it when he talks, and sings, but can’t stand it when he gets mad at me for putting my dishes away. Or is having a hissy fit for some other reason, that I can not see. He is worst then my P’let when she would have a hissy fit. Her tone I could handle. He has a very raspy tone. I had a canary that would sing most of the day, I had no problems with that type of noise. It’s the raspy screeching that am having a hard time dealing with. He is louder then my RB. And has started mimicking Keoki. I know that he is just being himself and I can’t get mad or upset for him being himself. And he is so happy here. But im wondering if I should try and rehome him.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Last year before our green cheeks Scott and Harley started bonding, Scotty was lonely so we decided to adopt a canary wing brotogeris in the hopes that he would become Scott's singing buddy. :) I drove 10 hours round-trip to Austin to pick him up. He was a cute and friendly little thing, but he lasted 1 week before we decided we needed to rehome him. His call was so shrill and he chirped so constantly that it felt like our ears were going to bleed! :shocked4: We had learned to tune out our other birds to some extend & that includes our macaw's occasional death scream :shocked3: but little Owen's voice was just too much for our brains to take. Our next door neighbors were looking for a pet, so they offered to give him a try. Turns out he was overstimulated by the other birds and he's much happier and quieter with them!

You could try getting a friend for Gary, but that's no guarantee that he'll settle down. If his voice just makes you cringe, I get it. Al you can do is do right by him and make sure he goes to a loving and compatible home. Maybe you're just meant to be a layover on his way to his forever home. :shrug:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for responding. I think I will
find him a new home. This weekend was torchure for me. I was kept busy with cleaning and Keoki, but it was still torchure. I’ve had him less than a month. I was asked if I would take him because of neglect and they knew I liked birds, and being a new empty nester. Well he is the sweetest thing, but his incessant chatter and alarming screech drove me crazy all weekend. I feel bad, but I’d be doing him an injustice. Anyway I feel bad.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Owen's new family adores him and love his songs but at their house that's all they are, just happy songs. The pitch and the urgency aren't there. He doesn't hurt my ears when I visit.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Owen's new family adores him and love his songs but at their house that's all they are, just happy songs. The pitch and the urgency aren't there. He doesn't hurt my ears when I visit.
Awww I love happy endings :heart: