• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet Behavior

LDR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lesley Rich
My male parakeet (Budgie) tries to mate with my hand. Afterwards, he gets aggressive and bites my finger. He will no longer just stay on my finger; he moves to my hand, and continues the mating behavior. I've never had this happen, so I guess all my previous birds have been females. My budgie is an only bird.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Not all males do this and it's not a male only activity (for want of a better word).
In the short term you can discourage this using the 'earthquake' method where you shake your hand as soon as he tries to get on. Distracting him with a favourite toy works sometimes.
For the long term you can increase his dark hours to 12-14 hours a day to emulate winter in his native land. You can also look into target training as an activity to keep him off your hand.
Last resort - fold your arms or just keep your hands hanging downward so he can't see them or 'mount' them. Get him stepping up onto a perch instead of the finger for a while and make sure he has plenty to do toys wise.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ripshod is totally trying to help you with good suggestions. Try not to have your hands available to this bird while he is hormonal. Perch train him at this time. Have a perch in your hand so he can step on that and not bite you. Also have a treat in your hand at the same time to distract him. Its an easy fix.