• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paraffin Wax Machine?

Steph6241

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everyone! I have a baby parakeet (named Frankie!) and I just got a therapeutic paraffin wax machine for my arthritis - it’s essentially a metal tub of melted and unscented paraffin wax.

From researching, I know that both burning candles and melting scents with paraffin wax are harmful to parakeets’ respiratory systems, but I haven’t been able to find anything specific about my machine. I planned to keep the machine in a separate from, but I don’t think it’s far enough away to prevent possible fumes from reaching Frankie.

Since it’s unscented + kept shut in a metal container, will it be safe if I take proper precautions? (Ventilating, moving it to another room, etc)

Thanks so much!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I really have no idea as I have not heard of one of these machines and I personally just stopped using all candles when I got birds.
I do know it is often the scent in the candles and also the fumes omitted from the wicks of the candles that are the main issues for our birds.

I have no idea though if just the heated unscented paraffin wax would be omitting any fumes at all.

@Mizzely @Hankmacaw any ideas?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Welcome to AA! I don’t know about the machine but I hope you find answers soon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Steph and Frankie! :starshower1:

It is worth checking what type of metal is used and if it has teflon.

Maybe you could ask your avian vet or contact the manufacturer?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Paraffin wax does give off a vapour when melted which can condense on ANY surface, much like a cup of water does (it's the basics of how they work). While they can be beneficial for humans a parrot's respiratory system is a heck of a lot more sensitive, so please never-the-twain shall meet.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have a wax bath that I got for my Mom and never used. Looks like I can free up that space under my bathroom sink now! I never thought of the dangers of the wax fumes but I will not use it.
I wondered what an alternative might be and this idea sounded like it has merit and would be effective and much safer. Perhaps you will consider it for both your own safety and Frankie's. Infrared Light Therapy for Arthritis Pain Relief: The Complete Guide