• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paper toys

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I recently made a new crinkle paper toy that my budgies just love. but, is there any way to tell whether they are just shredding the paper or actually eating it? Because I am really scared of what will happen if they ingest it, I read this passage in a book:

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those twist ties have metal in the middle and I highly doubt it is stainless steel. I would want to know for sure that it was paper and not heavy metal poisoning that killed the bird.

Also, that book recommends grit which is NOT needed by budgies. They shell their seeds, not eat them whole, so they don't need it.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
There is a small chance they will actually eat paper. And if they did, I doubt it would cause harm. To state the obvious, do not flavor the paper, anything like that is asking for trouble. Usually you can tell they're just playing, they tear off pieces, and chew it into a tiny ball.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
i don't think paper causes harm in small amounts. while playing with it they might eat a little which is fine. don't use paper with ink on it or colored ones.

clarousel

Thanks. This is the toy I made; sometimes the simplest toys are the most fun for them :) it used to had a shape though, now it’s hanging limply in shaggles :lol: View attachment 344231
He/She looks so proud!!!

I did the same for Preeno and she punched tiny holes throughout the strips. Was funny because she ignored them for a really long time!

BirdWorld

@clarousel that’s funny :lol:the only reason I was worried about paper is because I know how sensitive budgies are. I think I’m going to take it out of their cage now though, because Blinky got stuck on it momentarily. He got off easily, but I don’t want them to get trapped.