• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paper Eater

MarilynC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn Cole
My young female parakeet likes to eat the paper I line the base of the cage with. I put kabob sticks around the edges of the paper but it doesn’t help keep the paper down. What can I use as a weight?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does she eat it or just shred it? Many small birds try to use paper as nesting material.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe she'd ignore it if she had a few more shredding toys. Do you think she'd like some more of those?

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
As long as the paper is safe, then a little bit every now and then shouldn't hurt. Sometimes, as a special treat for my budgies, I fill up a bowl with scraps, toy parts, treats, and small willow sticks. The birds absolutely love it, and it distracts them from the bottom of the cage. Usually the taller the cage is, the less likely your bird is to spend time running down there. Have you tried giving your birdie a sea grass mat or a basket of shredding toys? They're easy to find online or in pet stores.
Worst case scenario, you may want to consider putting a grate on the bottom of the cage.
Overall, your budgie's behavior is completely normal. I'd recommend adding some more shredding toys, as that's what your feathered friend seems to be looking for. :D

MarilynC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn Cole
There is a grate in the bottom of the cage, but the paper gets up to where they can get it. What kind of paper is safe for shredding? I have newspaper in the bottom of the cage. I’m afraid of the ink.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
There is a grate in the bottom of the cage, but the paper gets up to where they can get it. What kind of paper is safe for shredding? I have newspaper in the bottom of the cage. I’m afraid of the ink.
Newspaper ink is non-toxic :)

MarilynC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn Cole
Oh, I thought it was. I shredded up some printer paper and put it in a small bowl in the cage. She’s been playing with the bowl for 3 hours! She even quit picking on Coco, the male. Jackie is very aggressive.