• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panting

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,

I've two linnies Chip and Nuka.

Got Nuka a week later then Chip.

Have them for about almost two months but the more time i spent with them, the more difference i see between them.

Nuka will sit with me, fall asleep on me. Chip on the other hand looks for every way to get away and pants like crazy i hold a bit longer then 10 seconds, it's becoming more heavier lately. He also gets like warm by his feet and stuff then. If he just walks around in my room he doesn't do it.

Nuka will use her one leg when she falls asleep or to eat something. Chip always stands on two feet.

Should i be concerned about these things? Or let Chip just be because I'm getting really scared about the panting when i grab him. He looks like something will happen to him :/.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you have an avian vet nearby? To ease your mind, if you have a vet, make an appt.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Yes you should be concerned. You should get hold of your avian vet quickly. It sounds like he maybe overheating, birds pant to cool down. Also standing always on two feet is a bad sign. A healthy bird will stand or perch on one foot at times. This is urgent.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My single experience with Linnies is with Gigi and she doesn't like hands. She really enjoys being with me, on my shoulder or lap, next to me on sofa arm, but prefers I not touch her. I'm not sure if she would pant/panic if grabbed. As you mentioned, maybe just let Chip be, so he feels safer and possibly begins to trust you more.

Gigi constantly rests on one foot so I do think that's a concern with Chip.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Heavy breathing is often a symptom of a respiratory issue. The vet can check him out for a bacterial or fungal infection. Take him in and be safe rather than sorry.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies have a reputation of being hand shy. I used to have a pair and they were that way despite being hand fed. I agree that you should take both birds to your avian vet. Even when there are no signs of illness birds do better with a yearly wellness check up.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Get to your avian vet asap. Also, you may want to consider asking them about an air purifier. It could possibly be something in the air bothering the poor little guy.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that a vet visit is always a good idea.

But are you saying that Chip only pants when you "grab" him? 10 seconds is a long time to hold a bird against his will. I really think he is panicking.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I agree that a vet visit is always a good idea.

But are you saying that Chip only pants when you "grab" him? 10 seconds is a long time to hold a bird against his will. I really think he is panicking.
good point Dona!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chip only pants when you "grab" him? 10 seconds is a long time to hold a bird against his will. I really think he is panicking.
I second this. The fact that he only pants when you're holding him sounds to me like he's distressed and frightened.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have two linnies who also are hand shy. They just aren't a hands on breed.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Called the vet. They told me to keep a check on him, he is not that concerned about the panting as he is only doing it when i get him. He knows the place i got my linnies from they keep all their bird in quarantine for 4 weeks. He just thinks that Chip may just be like that standing on two feet, he has seen it before. I should call him back if i feel he is getting worse. Just keep Chip as chill as possible as the heat outside won't help the panting.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great, give him some space and time. I've had so many birds that loved physical attention, but Gigi might love me the most and she doesn't want me to touch her. It's the Linnie way so I mostly keep my hands to myself. :)