• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panting After Exertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hello, Jack (b&g) and I are new here, been together about two years - he is about four years old.

I have a question about panting after exertion. I have noticed that after flying Jack starts panting, and will keep it up for about 15 seconds after. Now, he wasn't always flighted, that happened in the past year or so - but looking back, I guess he always panted even after gliding - I always assumed he had scared himself, so on.

Maybe this is not normal, and something is wrong with him? He had one scary blood test in the beginning, but we changed his diet and two weeks later all was well. Am I being a worry wart, or should I bring this up to my vet?

Thanks for any advice! :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's very normal for a bird who isn't used to flying to be out of breathe after flying for the first time once his wings grow in. Even my birds who fly regularly breathe heavily if they overdo it. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel did this after flapping or flying for awhile. He has now conditioned himself and I no longer see it. When was the last time your bird had a checkup? Routine checkups are always a good thing but if it happens after physical exertion only you should be alright.

jacksmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Last check up should be about six - eight months ago....believe my vet recommended yearly? Of course, he gets weighed when he goes in for just a nail trim. :)

Awesome, so good ol' Jack Jack is just outta shape! ;) All good, he is SLOWLY (I will NOT fail) getting used to his aviator harness, we will fix that up! :) Plus the new bedroom is big enough for even him to fly in! ;)

Thanks guys, I feel better now! :cool: Exercise I can fix myself! :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel was about almost 2 months of flying before he got in shape to not die afterwards. :D He is a fat boy!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch did the same thing when he first realized he could fly again. He'd be shagged out for a hour after a lap or two around the room, he's a big boy for a Pionus too.
Now that he's been flying a while he doesn't pant or sit and fall asleep after a short flight. Nerd bird never could fly well but loved to flap as hard as he could and did it till he was panting and he made it 31 years.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
My Red Bellied parrot, Shadow, is almost two years old now. She takes off and does two or three laps of the upstairs without stopping once, then she glides downstairs and lands on my stair climber. After that her little chest goes up and down for a few minutes. I think this is healthy and normal.

jacksmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Since so many of you have experience with unflighted birds becoming flighted...how about landing? Jack can't land on a branch - or won't, anyway - he flies around and then lands on the floor. In his old room I thought maybe it was lack of space - now I am thinking maybe his branches were too thick to grip properly on a landing? He can land on a dang windowsill, lol, why not a branch? Did he slip once and now he is scared to land on branches? Thoughts?

I should add, he now has much thinner branches as well as thicker ones...doesn't seem to be using them yet...

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Shadow had problems landing at first. She has never landed successfully on a branch or perch. She prefers a low cockatiel cage with a flat top (empty). I put three plush animals on it (toys) and they are secured with some plastic ties. She lands there and can get a firm grip on them. Soft landing too. Otherwise she uses the floor upstairs or down, bed, back of sofa or my shoulder, head or arm. My thought is that if I were flying I would prefer something easy and soft to a branch. She's pretty smart.
You could wrap your branches or perches with a thick towel or a length of fleece fabric and tie it in place with some sisal rope. I have done this to my walker. The front bar is very slick metal about the size of a 1" dowel. The fleece wraps around several times. She will make short flights to land there.

Last edited:

Milly

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 Greys of which one would pant when flying. He would get all worked up and overexcited! He is healthy as can be & he is just a bit of a nut!

jacksmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Thanks to all for the replies! :D

Katherinesbirds - what size bird is this method working on? It sounds like an awesome idea for Jack! :cool: Just wondering if I need to modify it any...

What sort of cloth materials are safe for bird ingestion, should they choose to, lol? Towels on branches would maybe be fine - but I tend to overdo things, lol - so now of course I need to make a "landing pad" in his bedroom! ;) Thinking plywood covered with....what? Shouldn't need to wash it, just vacuum dust now and then - he has a very distinct poopin' pattern, lol! :)

Oooo...what about carpet, is it bird safe? I know where to get a cat tree shaped like a palm tree with many such "landing pads"...

Status
Not open for further replies.