• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pancreatitis -- graphic poop pics and X-rays

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Re: Pancreatitis -- graphic poop pics

Viokase is much more expensive than pancreatin. If it would have been our only choice we wouldn't have been able to treat her. If you want info about how to get the pancreatin just let me know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
thanks!:) I'm checking with the vets about this :) and will come to you for more info.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Saroj, how old is Little Scooter?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Saroj, how old is Little Scooter?
He will be 4 this summer.
He has had digestive issues since hatch.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

With cockatiels sometimes the droppings may look puffy, pale and clay-like. This can either be an indication of pancreatic problems or with handfeeding babies yeast in the GI tract in addition to pancreatic insuffeciency.

I have found that sometimes food that contain corn glutin can affect organ function negatively, in addition to causing the body to store fat in and around the major organs such as the liver (2nd illus)

With cockatiels pancreatic problems are genetic. I've learned that too many generations of the same mutations bred together can contribute to alot of inherited health problems. I had a friend that for over 15+ years would just breed only pied to pied because she wanted only pretty pied tiels, and would not work with greys or splits. She got to the point that the babies would be fine one day and dropped dead with no warning shortly after weaning. Necopsies showed that they had only partial pancreases or none left. prior to death the dropping were similar to the droppings shown below.

Other things that can affect pancreatic function are viral infections, protozoa infections, zinc toxicity, and pesticides. I believe that pancreatic insuffeciency can be a result of diabetes mellitus. I'll have to hunt for saved info on my computer.​

Attachments

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

I have never heard of this before. I learn something new everyday on here. I hope you can find something that helps get things under control for L scoot :hug8: You sure are a great caretaker and go above and beyond for your birds Saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Thank you Susan, that is good info. Thankfully blood sugar is normal and no diabetes symptoms. I do have a pudgy cockatiel at 130 grams. I wonder if I should restrict her pellets. She eats only fresh corn. Ignores anything else fresh. :eek:

Chris, thanks for the good wishes :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

He will be 4 this summer.
He has had digestive issues since hatch.
Gosh, so young :( I will keep you in my thoughts :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

I wonder if I should restrict her pellets
-----------------------------------

Yes, definitely, especially if they contain corn gluten meal.

Also full-spectrum lighting is benefical to over-weight birds that can be suspect to liver problems.

The seawater mixture may also be helpful. Trace minerals are esential for the assimulation and utilization of the vitamins and nutrients in the birds body. They also aid in the digestive process by acting as a catylist for enzyme, hormone, and essential body functions neccessary for health.

And lecethin (sp) helps to emulsify fats in the body.

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

wow, this is a very informative thread. Thanks for this, we all need to know as much as we can.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan

Thanks for sharing this info Saroj.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Summary of phone consult with Dr. David McCluggage.

He's a conventional DVM who practices holistic medicine too hence integrated medicine.

Veterinary Institute of Integrative Medicine

Dr. McCluggage feels that Scooter has has an underlying infection since hatch and it flares up periodically, leaving his organs more and more damaged with each bout. He wants my vet to put him on oral antibiotics for two weeks. He is also sending a holistic concoction. Interestingly he said let Scooter eat millet if he wants. A few nuts too if he can tolerate them. This surprised me and I said I wouldn't try this as two of the three episodes were triggered by nuts. He said he's not a fan of aloe detox, it doesn't do anything. He did not agree with hospitalizing Scooter in oxygen for two days during the last episode. He says the stress on a bird in a clinic is tremendous. My vet agrees with this philosophy too but she had to monitor him as he was so unstable. Regarding pancreatin, he said his formulation would address the pancreatic insufficiency. He did not have an explanation for the straight long non-coiled poops, and did not seem to think it particularly relevant. Also said he doesn't care for Emeraid except as emergency nutritional support. It can cause more problems than it cures. I'll email to ask what kind of problems as I missed what he said or am forgetting.
That's the gist of it. I sent him the poop pics from this thread.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Did he say what kind of antibiotic? How did you feel after talking to him, confident? I checked out that site he seems like he is pretty well recognized and experienced.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Did he say what kind of antibiotic? How did you feel after talking to him, confident?
he said any antibiotic of her (my vet's) choice. Scooter should have been on it in jan right after, he said. Actually he did get piperacillin shots for four days jan 5-9 to which i attribute his turning around, so i think he may be on to something with the antibiotic idea.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

That is all really interesing info Saroj, thanks for sharing with us. My vet has always sent home my guys asap too, especially since we can do the same at home. They just do so much better in their home situation, but you have to do what you have to do to get them through it when they are as critical as Little Scooter was.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

L Scoot XRays from early January, day after the pancreatitis attack

0SCOOTER.jpg

1SCOOTER.jpg

2SCOOTER.jpg

3SCOOTER.jpg

The liver is enlarged. His urine was bright yellow....bilirubin. It is still yellow somedays.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy

Did they suggest a probiotic after the antibiotic treatment?

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise

Give scooter a big hug for me, I hope he feels better. He has a great, loving mommy. Lots of hugs for scooter and mommy:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi

Oh Hon! I had no idea Lil' Scooter went through this so badly!

Aww. I hope this new vet has some ideas that work. My sisters cat has an auto immune problem, he's had all kinds of infections in all parts of his body. She gives him something called Xango juice (I think). I have no idea if it's okay for birds but I know it costs a fortune per bottle. It's really helped him fight off nasty infections, and prevent kidney stones. But it wasn't until he had 3 teeth pulled (which his body's been killing for years) that he had turn around. He's healthier now than he has ever been. Too bad Scooter doesn't have any teeth to pull...

I hope his poops get it together and that he feels better soon.

Last edited:

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah

oh poor L scooter you love him so much and i know it will be vary hard if you lose him:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts!!!:hug8: