• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pancreatitis -- graphic poop pics and X-rays

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Pale fluffy pea soup color huge volume of poop,
pancpoop2.JPG

pancpoop3.JPG

oil separates out of food.
oilypoop.jpg

Reading list

Supportive care:

Milk thistle liquid

Harrison's Avian Enzyme OR Vibragest by Nature's Path (made for people)

L-Carnitine ;pinch of

No seeds or nuts

Low fat diet

Last edited by a moderator:

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Re: Pancreatitis -- graphic poop pics

Saroj, does one of your birds have pancreatitis? One of our good friends had it and I know that it is very painful in people.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

THANK YOU SAROJ for posting this!

I have a question about pic #3

Is the wastery part the oil part? Sometimes I have seen my birds poop look like this after they have had some watery fruits or just drank some water... Bokka in general, who has in the passed been diagnosed with kidney and liver problems, and I had to watch out whatever he ate 3 years ago. He is better now, but he still sometimes excretes green "pea soup colored" poop... and he hasnt had green color foods that day he pooped it. It comes and goes, but Im starting to wonder if I need to make his yearly exam a bit early this year.

When the water/oil DRIES does it still have a stain from where it landed?

I remember back in like 8th grade we did an oil test on nuts, french fries and several other things. And after you rub in the nut into a paper bag, after a minute or two, once its dried, you can see the stains from where the oils were left. I'm wondering if this is the same with a bird with Pancreatitis?

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I have another question about Scooter's poop. Sometimes Bokka my U2 has pooped VERY watery poops. Like he just shoots out water and a long poop.. but it contains little to no urates, is not formed (as in a ball like shape) and it looks like he is shooting out water...

My avian vet did a CBC and a Gram stain and throat swab, and everything came back normal. He said it was dietary. And with Bokka's past history of having Kidney problems, my vet said this most likely the cause for Bokka weird squirting poops. I noticed this was at its worst when several months ago I had my birds basck on 80% pellets and 20% fresh(I was going through some rough times, and just couldnt do them their normal diet). And Bokka had terrible poops, which ultimately cause me to change their diet back to the norm. He never mentioned anything about pancreatitis. :huh:

This thread should be made into a STICKY :D

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Truely's poo looks like this sometimes, but there is not a lot of volume. I figured it was green because of the color of the Harrisons.

Ginger

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Saroj, does one of your birds have pancreatitis? One of our good friends had it and I know that it is very painful in people.
he gets hospitalized in oxygen at each outbreak and his organs are getting more and more damaged with each episode.
The vet did not expect him to make it this last time in Jan.
THANK YOU SAROJ for posting this!

I have a question about pic #3

Is the wastery part the oil part? Sometimes I have seen my birds poop look like this after they have had some watery fruits or just drank some water... Bokka in general, who has in the passed been diagnosed with kidney and liver problems, and I had to watch out whatever he ate 3 years ago. He is better now, but he still sometimes excretes green "pea soup colored" poop... and he hasnt had green color foods that day he pooped it. It comes and goes, but Im starting to wonder if I need to make his yearly exam a bit early this year.

When the water/oil DRIES does it still have a stain from where it landed?

I remember back in like 8th grade we did an oil test on nuts, french fries and several other things. And after you rub in the nut into a paper bag, after a minute or two, once its dried, you can see the stains from where the oils were left. I'm wondering if this is the same with a bird with Pancreatitis?
The stain you see is all oil. This poop was 9 hours old. No water.
I
have another question about Scooter's poop. Sometimes Bokka my U2 has pooped VERY watery poops. Like he just shoots out water and a long poop.. but it contains little to no urates, is not formed (as in a ball like shape) and it looks like he is shooting out water...

My avian vet did a CBC and a Gram stain and throat swab, and everything came back normal. He said it was dietary. And with Bokka's past history of having Kidney problems, my vet said this most likely the cause for Bokka weird squirting poops. I noticed this was at its worst when several months ago I had my birds basck on 80% pellets and 20% fresh(I was going through some rough times, and just couldnt do them their normal diet). And Bokka had terrible poops, which ultimately cause me to change their diet back to the norm. He never mentioned anything about pancreatitis. :huh:

This thread should be made into a STICKY :D
Nope, not a sticky, I'm not an authority on the subject :)
I guess if you see oily poops your vet may suspect pancreatic insufficiency. The caiques have very watery poops from the huge volume of watery fruits they eat.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I guess if you see oily poops your vet may suspect pancreatic insufficiency. The caiques have very watery poops from the huge volume of watery fruits they eat.
Im going to line the bottom of their cage with paper tonight and see what their poop looks like :)

Thanks a ton Saroj!

So with Scooter's new diet of low fat foods, do you think he'll do better?:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Truely's poo looks like this sometimes, but there is not a lot of volume. I figured it was green because of the color of the Harrisons.

Ginger

The pellet is green colored, but more of a darker mossy greenish color. But to produce pea soup color poop, is a bit worrisome in my books with my Bokkapooh

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene

It is now a sticky! Great info here. Thanks ladies.:highfive:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

this is today....it's been like this since the episode

no water....all that is oil. And he is on as low fat a diet as i can give him...
pancpoopoil.JPG

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

and the poop is turning into long strands, not coiled. Will check with vet to see what it means. Anyone know?
Actually it has not been coiled since the illness, just puffy blobs. This is new.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

keep us posted on what the vet says - looks like the solid part is trying to be more normal even though not coiled

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy

I have a great dane with pancreatic insufficiency. We sprinkle pancreatin (dessicated pig pancreas) on her food and let it sit before she can eat it. The pancreatin helps her to digest the food. Is there any such treatment for birds?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

keep us posted on what the vet says - looks like the solid part is trying to be more normal even though not coiled
you are right! That does look like what's happening...
I have a great dane with pancreatic insufficiency. We sprinkle pancreatin (dessicated pig pancreas) on her food and let it sit before she can eat it. The pancreatin helps her to digest the food. Is there any such treatment for birds?
Thanks so much for your input!

We are just giving him Vibragest which is not pancreatin, but has some other digestive aids. There used to be a product called Viokase vets use but it's on backorder nationwide. I'll ask if we can use dog tablets ...if we can figure out the strength.
Today I have a phone consult with an integrated vet (regular + holistic training) Dr. McCluggage and he will be prescribing some of his potions too and I'll ask him about what you said as well...

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

i see a lot of viokase on the internet!!:eek:

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika

how do you know that is oil and not water? i'm getting a bit worried because sometimes my guys poop very watery or off color like the first photos you posted. not as gooey but then again I don't have paper under their cages to really see.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy

Viokase is much more expensive than pancreatin. If it would have been our only choice we wouldn't have been able to treat her. If you want info about how to get the pancreatin just let me know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy

One more thing... I get a powdered form and am able to tweak her dosage up or down depending on how she is doing. It's easier than crushing tablets.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

this is today....it's been like this since the episode

no water....all that is oil. And he is on as low fat a diet as i can give him...
View attachment 18946
Saroj, I am sorry you and L Scoot are going through this :(

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

how do you know that is oil and not water? i'm getting a bit worried because sometimes my guys poop very watery or off color like the first photos you posted. not as gooey but then again I don't have paper under their cages to really see.
Erika, I wasn't going to post a thread about this because I didn't want anyone to jump to conclusions and worry :hug8:. I feel paper on the grate or under is very important. I use plain unprinted so I can see things clearly. The splotches are definitely oil.
Saroj, I am sorry you and L Scoot are going through this :(
thank you Danita :)