• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pairing up

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I am getting a little concerned about my pair and need a veteran here to put my nerves to rest. I am fairly certain now, lets say 90 - 10, that I have a male and a female. The light brown finch seems to be the male. The first two nights I had them, they perched together. I cant say for certain that they shared a nest at the store as there were four finches originally (two separate nests), and I cant remember if I saw them together specifically in the nest, however, I did see them tending to stay near each other instead of with the other two still for sale (hence my logic in selecting this pair). After those first initial nights of them perching together though, they have not perched together again at night. Always at opposite ends of the flight cage.

As for the coconut nest (which I wont detail much here as that's another question already on the forum), only the male seems interested in it at the moment (which does seem normal for now according to courting behavior). He still goes over to it and pokes his head in occasionally. I only saw him briefly go in it once today, then come straight back out. As far as the female goes, I don't think she even knows its there. As for other behaviors, there does not seem to be any nest building activities yet with the exception of him climbing on the nesting material tonight and making some noise as I was leaving for the night. I could not see if he was pulling material or just hanging off it and crunching the paper. Will have to wait till morning to see if any progress has been made on a potential nest.

So now with all that out of the way, here is my worry. Is the female not interested at all? I did catch for sure once today not only the male singing, but what seemed like him singing directly to her. Should I be worried that she is not interested having been with him for a few days or does this process take much more time? Once she decides she doesn't like him, is that it, case closed? Or is it possible for her mind to change later on? I'm sure I am just being impatient and I know a lot of you will probably tell me that its for the best anyways as breeding is a road most people should NOT go down at all, but I am pretty excited for a few extra finches one day (or soon from what I understand as finches apparently breed like rabbits), especially hand tame prospects.

Can anyone out there put my mind at ease please? Hopefully I just need to be patient lol.

Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm sure I am just being impatient and I know a lot of you will probably tell me that its for the best anyways as breeding is a road most people should NOT go down at all,
Answered your own question.

So you've had these bird 3 whole days. And you expect them to just go about life like everything is old and familiar? Everything is brand new. Including you.

We have one word we use in the bird world ad nauseam. Patience, patience patience. You're not showing any.

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah I figured. I just noticed a downward trend so it was hard not to worry, but I should know better. 4 days is not exactly a reliable sample size...

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
They snuggled together tonight inside their coconut nest. Feeling much better. Thanks

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Glad they are settling in.