• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Good morning everyone I was thinking about doing a little indoor painting like my fireplace which is downstairs and right now the birds are upstairs can anyone recommend a low odor paint

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
You may want to read on ECOS Wall Paint has no odor and low VOC.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i wonder if annie sloane chalk paint would be ok, i need to do some painting as well so it will be something to look into.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can buy special low VOC paint or milk paint to be extra safe, but really most any ordinary acrylic/latex indoor paint will be just fine with your birds being on a different floor. I've painted the bird room and other rooms several times over the years with the birds often nearby. Even an open can of paint only has a mild odor and it dries very quickly (under an hour), after which there's no odor at all. Open some windows for ventilation until it's totally dry and you are good.

I'd probably avoid any oil based paints, though. They have much stronger fumes, take longer to dry and would be less safe.