• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting problems

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
I'm not really sure where to put this in the forum but I figure educating myself works well enough xP

My bird room is down the hall and around a small corner from a room we are painting this weekend. (The right wall is the same as the back wall of the room to be painted.) I read a few things about no VOC being relatively okay for birds, but that you should still have them out of the house for a week(?).

Anyway the house is two stories with a landing in between the two staircases. If I move the birds upstairs into a room and block the vent/s in that room, have the windows open, some fans on, and have fans downstairs in the room to be painted, would they be okay? And as far as windows being open is it okay to have the room being painted open and the room they are in open? The room they probably would go to is directly above the one painted. Which is why I would block the vent. We would move them up there and get everything possible set up before ever opening the paint to prevent it sitting open. The room isn't very large so I imagine it wouldn't take long to paint.

My next question is when it would be safe to bring them back downstairs. Should I wait a day or a week or until the paint can't be smelled?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If you are using zero VOC there should be no problems. I have used azeroVOC and you just have no smells after a very short time of just the wet drying smell.
I would probably just open the window in the room being painted and suck the air out there. It could come back in on the birds if their window is right above it, plus MT is probably a bit colder than you want coming in.
You could bring them back the next day, I am sure the smell will be gone quickly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The trick to painting safely is ventilation. From what you described it should be fine. Use the fans to bring fresh air into the bird area and "exhaust" all the other areas outside with the other fans.

Most paints cure within 48 hours with good ventilation and a couple more days of residual smell.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm curious, what brand(s) carry paints that don't have VOC?