• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Painting or Wood-burning near birds?

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
I really like to paint and wood-burn, but my budgies' cage is right by my desk, which is where I normally do art stuff. I haven't used my desk very much since moving the cage near it, but I just want to know if acrylics are ok to use near birds. And I'm assuming watercolors are ok as well...? Those are my main two forms of media for painting, and I also like to wood-burn as I mentioned above. Sometimes the burner gets a little smokey, so it would probably be best to do that elsewhere, right? (I haven't ever wood-burned near my birds b4)

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I wouldn't risk it. Birds have a very sensitive respiratory system, and if anything gives off fumes then it's a danger.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Some paints are highly toxic. For example those made with heavy metals (cadmium and cobalt for example). The rinsing water is also a risk because the paint deposits there. That's why it's advised to not even have a drink near while painting, it's possible to mistake the rinse water for a drink.

My acrylic and watercolor paints don't give off any particular smell or fumes, but the fixatives do. Oil paints have a strong smell. I would also be concerned of the birds chewing my expensive brushes or paper. :arghh:

Pastels produce dust that gets in the air. It's really not even safe for us to breathe. Not sure if you ever use them, but I'd be very cautious with pastels. Charcoal I use, but it isn't made with toxic metals. It's charred vines/wood. It's used and stored in a separate room that birds have no access.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I much prefer painting outdoors. You don't have to worry about these things.