• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paint

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am going to paint my kitchen and need a paint guide. The ones I have looked at are LVOC. Am I one the right track, Valentine will be at the vets while this is going on

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Did some painting in my house awhile back and used no voc and low voc paints. Closed off that part of house for a few days and all went well and paint looks great. A point of interest is that a couple of decades ago when I didn’t know better I polyurethaned two floors and painted the kitchen all with my cockatiel in close proximity and I had no problems then either

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks, that eases my mind

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Following!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
If you are in the States, Ecos paint gets great reviews. If you are not, Farrow & Ball is amazing, it's all I've used in my house. We've tried Benjamin Moore Aura ( low VOC) but I much prefer the F&B. No smell, clay- based and beautiful colors and finishes.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you are in the States, Ecos paint gets great reviews. If you are not, Farrow & Ball is amazing, it's all I've used in my house. We've tried Benjamin Moore Aura ( low VOC) but I much prefer the F&B. No smell, clay- based and beautiful colors and finishes.
Thanks, I will look it up, the name is not familiar

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you painted yet? I am curious how much less smell the low or now voc paint has so I know if I need to try to find somewhere for my birds next week.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did some painting in my house awhile back and used no voc and low voc paints. Closed off that part of house for a few days and all went well and paint looks great. A point of interest is that a couple of decades ago when I didn’t know better I polyurethaned two floors and painted the kitchen all with my cockatiel in close proximity and I had no problems then either
how much difference was there between the low voc stuff and normal paint? We have just been informed that a plasterer and painter have been planned for next week to do our repairs :/

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you used the mentioned paints with birds around?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Sherwin Williams has no voc paints. I used the Emerald line. Very very little odor and it did not linger- open windows as it dried. Through the 22nd of this month, 40% off which makes it affordable. I think if you sign up for paint perks, you get an extra 10$ off.
Used around Louise and no problems at all. I am very careful and feel confident in the paint.
She still isn't home as i had wood floors refinished with a water based product: they said no dust would be left and no odor. It is over a week and I still smell enough of the polyurethane that she won't be coming home yet. Windows open, 3 air cleaners running. House feels empty without her here.
Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
We've used the Farrow & Ball in the last year as well as a variety of no-VOC furniture paints (Fusion and Annie Sloan). I don't paint in the room with the birds, but it was too cold to put them outside. Once the paint was dry they were allowed to fly through the room as usual, no issues.