• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco the DYH Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacoparrot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacob
Paco is around 5-10 years old and he's a rescued parrot with an unknown history. He will step up to anyone but won't let anyone touch him. He's sort of afraid of hands and will flinch if you bring your hand near him. Although DYH amazons are great talkers Paco doesn't make any real words, but I'm trying to get him to vocalize more. He is quieter than my cockatiels and usually won't vocalize at all unless you start talking to him. I've had him now since October 2009 and he's finally starting to open up a little bit. He will eat anything you give him and if he doesn't like it he'll throw it. He doesn't bite. I have never gotten bitten by him, even when I hold him down to clip his wings. He just knows enough not to bite down at all. He will still growl and put his beak on you but he just knows not to bite down. I trust him more than my cockatiels with the biting. I'm looking for some ideas to make him more friendly. I want to get him to dance but I'm not sure how. I try to put on music and start dancing but I don't know if he understands. He just seems like he doesn't know how to have fun...My other birds will do different things when they are in a good mood but he really doesn't. I also would like to train him to come over when I call him but that's not as important. It's hard to explain but I'm trying to get him to come out of his shell but I need some help as to how. Maybe some trust building techniques or something...thank you everyone!

Attachments

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Welcome to the Avenue! I see this is your 1st post. Some more members with Amazons should jump in soon.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awe he is a handsome guy! Sometimes Amazons are like that. I have several that like to just hang out and dont seem super outgoing, but they are happy :) Making a big deal and acting excited about stuff can sometimes get their interest. I would recommend checking out positive reinforcement/clicker training. We have some great threads about it here: Clicker Training Classroom - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board. Using this type of training is an excellent way of communicating and having fun with your bird :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Welcome to the Avenue! I hope you and your new 'zon like it here!:) I agree with Jill. I also think you should work on clicker training him. I would also suggest you find out what his favorite food is, and go slowly with trying to handle him and then when he steps up then give him the treat. Also, try not to show any fear of him when you are trying to handle him, because he can sense it and he knows that you are scared and will react to your actions. I have a rescue amazon, and these are all the things that I did with my 'zon, and now she is very sweet and loves me a lot. I would also get a book (a kids book), and sit by his cage reading the book to him softly, and talking to him for a while each day.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He's a good looking Zon! IME the best way to get them dancing, singing and making noise is to turn on some music and dance, sing and make noise yourself. Usually they'll start joining in before long! :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I know little about zons but bless you for taking this beautiful zon into your life..I love the pic...he is stunning.

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
He's a very handsome fella! :cool1:

Do you hold him down with bare hands when you want to clip his wings? If so then IMO this holds him back pretty much from trusting your hands. You should use a towel and my vet has advised me that its better when they have their eyes covered as this reduces the stress a lot and they dont see what you're doing at that moment so they dont conect you with the fact their flight feathers are gone. I used to do so when I wanted to trim my zon's nails, now she will have her manicure just standing there on top of her cage and me holding one foot at a time. Then she gets an almond. :D

pacoparrot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacob
I don't really hold him down I actually just grab his wing while he's perching on something. I must have worded that wrong, sorry. Thank you all for the great advise I will try some of it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is very beautiful! I am sorry that I have no advice.

Matt

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Paco is just beautiful. However I have a special place in my heart for DYH.

As you are sitting with him let your hands and fingers become your newest-bestest friends. I fostered a bird that was scared of left hands and would flop over backwards if he saw it. He didn't mind my arm or shoulder;so, while he was on my right arm I started kissing my right finger and saying how sorry I was that Emmett didn't want to be his friend. It didn't take long before he wanted in on the action, but it had to be at his pace,long story short, I can give headrubs, and allopreen him with both hands no problem.

Just let Paco think it is his idea.;)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had Wasabi, the guy in the avatar, for just three years, so I am no expert. He is a rescue, as well. It took him 2 years to really warm up to me. I cannot handle him - I have the bites and scars to prove it - but I can pet his head thru the cage bars and get in a little kiss even, but that's only been recently.
His cage is right next to the couch. I sit at the end of the couch, closet to him, and sit and read or watch TV. He comes down and sits on the perch. I will talk to him, read a little bit, talk to him some more, etc. That's the best way I know to build trust. Well, it's worked for us, anyway.
It takes time to earn a bird's trust. It will happen at his pace. He is very handsome. Good luck and thank you for adopting him.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Paco is one handsome fella. How do you approach with your hand when you want to give him a scritch? I find with Chewie he's not one to like anything coming up at his head but if you come from below gently with my hand and start giving his cheeks a scritch he becomes more receptive. It took a few years to build a good relationship with him. He was pretty antzy and anxious in the beginning and not one tolerate long sessions of one on one contact so very brief session were better for him so it would end on a good note. I found he responded well to playing peek a boo and drew him out that way and foot toys getting on the floor with him and just playing.

Best wishes and welcome!

pacoparrot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacob
Can I ask you guys who clips their birds wings? Someone from Germany told me it's illegal and cruel and I can get a fine. They sounded mad but I'm asking to show them that it's a common practice in the USA for the birds safety and it's not harmful or permanent. Please and thank you!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I clip my cockatiels wings and my conures wings also, but currently I am letting everyone grow their wings in. My amazon is flighted because she has a safe room that she can fly in and I take the precautions necessary to keep her safe. She is also a lot healthier since she has been flighted, she has gained a lot of muscle weight, and she is a lot more confident in herself.

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
As far as I know, it is indeed illegal in Germany to clip a bird's wings and that you can get a fine if you get caught. But I havent heard of anything similar for another european country.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
That's very interesting. I did not know about it being illegal in Germany. I would have 4 fines on my hands as all 4 of my birds have trimmed wings that I do or the vet...that would be expensive depending on the fine!

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Wow, what a handsome boy!:heart: It sounds to me like the two of you have already made a wonderful start to a great relationship!

I think Paco would be an excellent candidate (although it works for all birds) for teaching him sign language. Give him a voice; he may have never had the opportunity to express his needs and desires, let alone get them met, and it can be a great adjunct to your work to get him to come out of his shell. Here's a blog entry I made just today on some examples of sign language that I use with my amazon. You can use a natural, innate behavior or a trained behavior as a basis. This gives the two of you a chance to form a mode of communication since you both don't speak English (yet)!:laughing12:

Using Sign Language

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh my goodness, what a handsome fellow Paco is! I just love zon's. I've found with my Yellow Nape, that the louder and goofier I am the more goofy and loud he wants to be. I crank up the tunes and dance (when no one but the birds can see me) and start singing and before I know it, he's pacing, climbing, singing and yelling as loud as he can. This gets all the birds going and it is so much fun. Some other things that get my zon going are other birds singing and talking on youtube and the Birdsitter DVD that I sometimes put on for my guys. They really love watching other birds on the tv, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.