• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco, not dealing with new work schedule, HELP!! :(

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm beside myself with worry and frustration. I started a new job, yeah don't get excited, I hate it. The schedule is hard, up at 4:30 am and ending time is different every day. I didn't know this until after I was hired.

I am off on the weekends which is a plus. Paco is not adapting well. He is plucking. Now sometimes in the morning he will not get out of his cage. I stay to our routine as much as possible. I talk to him, play music, goodies and yum yums every morning and evening. One day I came home and he had congealed blood under his neck from plucking, small but still alarming. He shakes when I get near him. I try to spend as much time as I can with him. One day he will act like his old self and then the next its like the day I brought him home

How can I help him adjust to this? I want my buddy back and make him feel safe and happy. He still won't accept toys, he has his bell and his wooden toy he has had when I got him. I leave the radio on for him. I really need some suggestions.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
So am I Clueless, my heart is breaking. I will keep trying to spend time with him and keep our routine, I don't know what else I can do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry. Do you leave music or the TV on for him when you leave? Is there anyone that can check on him during the day?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes I leave the radio on. No one to check on him during the day.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry Paco is going through with this and hope that he will adjust to the new schedule.
Can you leave the TV on for him so he can watch something? Sometimes the TV works better than the radio.
Can you set up a webcam so you can check in on him when you are not home and maybe talk to him and have him see you? Not sure, though, if that will help or
frustrate him more but might be worth looking into.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you had moved to a new home what adjustments would you make for Paco? Perhaps thinking back to what you did at the time of a previous move would help now. Sometimes its better to think backwards when it comes to birds. AG are so sensative as you know. Try to think of what is familiar and comforting to Paco and have that at the ready.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well I did notice today he gets out of his cage when I shower. Now that is something I do differently. On the weekends I clean in my shorts and T shirt then shower. On work days I shower first thing. Might seem silly but I know how these guys are. They don't like change. Thanks for the tips.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think recording yourself, say, reading a book, & leaving that on during the day would help or not?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can actually read a child’s picture book to a bird. They seem to enjoy this.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I haven't thought of that. Its driving me crazy, some days he acts his old self and then others, he just sits in his cage with one foot up and seems content sitting there.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I am sorry Paco is going through with this and hope that he will adjust to the new schedule.
Can you leave the TV on for him so he can watch something? Sometimes the TV works better than the radio.
Can you set up a webcam so you can check in on him when you are not home and maybe talk to him and have him see you? Not sure, though, if that will help or
frustrate him more but might be worth looking into.
i also think a webcam is a great option. Better yet, can you set up a screen where he can watch you live as you work??
That way he may feel less lonely and will hear and see you. Tou can also talk to him.
Foraging and destructive toys can keep him busy.
Also training him saying, "work time!" Just before leaving and handing him toys might help him understand you wont be back right away so he wont feel so anxious.
Toys are a reward for you leaving which makes it less like a punishment.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I gave my amazons nutriberries then head out the door for work. Guess that might have helped their anxiety......

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's so sad. Monaco is having trouble too. She's better in some ways and worse in others. It's a tough row.