• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco is plucking :(

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Life has been a turmoil. First the retail job with flexible schedule. Now I have started a new one, up at 4:30 am and at least home before dark. After a year and a half, his feathers are coming in. He did lose his left wing feathers a few months ago. Took forever for them to come back in. His shoulder? Top of the wind is still bald. I confirmed it this weekend, he is using his beak as a pair of tweezers, pulling them out.

So many changes for my big boy and he has been such a trooper.

I have NO experience with a plucker. Guys and gals I need your advice.

scott199

Walking the driveway
oh so sorry, things were really looking up for you two.

im the same i have no first hadn't experience just research, im sure others will be able to advise better but from what ive read pure 100% aloe vera helps with plucking and good old sunlight.

But really the need to confirm with a vet that its nothing medical should really be done (unless you have? ) once you ruled that out you can start the process of solving the metal problem.

but i know our rescue manager has a plucked grey and hes been trying everything for years, its just a habit he does like biting our nails, no medical reason, plenty of time out, toys and attention (they both work from home) but he still does it, i've seen him a few times and he seems the happiest little chap ever, friendly to everyone.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's heartbreaking, for sure! Monaco mostly chews hers, but has pulled a few too. I try to not react, and distract if I can before she starts up again. I've been not approaching during the chewing, but gathering whatever I will need as soon as she takes a break. I miss a lot of the actual events, though. I spend extra one on one time on those days. I also have begun to expect it if things change. It makes me grateful for all the time she doesn't destroy them. I wish I had more to tell you. Pam Clark talks a lot about choice and agency. Also, before I started my new job (afternoon for 4+ hours) I changed her cage around a lot. I made zones. Foraging is in the top half for the most part, regular food and water only on the left side with weird perch placement (she really has to make an effort to go between the dishes and to get back to her resting perch in the upper middle. Lower half on the right is the foot toy bin, @JLcribber 's phone book shredder was (yay, past tense!) down on the floor, the grass mat with more foraging stuff, and soon some @WallyLoopey foraging wall stuff. I think I got lucky that she got interested in the materials and layout, and is still working on it after I get home in the evenings. I caught her using a foot toy as a tool to dig through the paper one day! It's going to help to keep him busy. I know it's easier said than done! Her first mom and I are both still expecting a blowout issue over the changes...it's a happy surprise every day so far, but I have a plan. At least it keeps me busy too!

I would say read Pam's blog, and look at the cage with new eyes. Try, and then keep trying, various ways to get him busy and expand his agency over his environment. I think @Lady Jane posted a new feather destruction blog post link just a few days ago.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is one of Pam Clarks artiles on feather plucking. She has other ones also.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He was vet checked by first owner, he is 21 now. The poor guy has had a very neglected life of years of being cage bound and no socialization. He blossomed when I got him. Chest was still bare, he gained weight, tail feathers grew in and improved diet. He is out when I am home. He lost his left wing feathers and the are slow coming in. Flight feathers are in but he is plucking the shoulder, under his neck is fuzzy and he is still bare in the chest.

I'm sure my change in work schedule is what has him upset. I"m not crazy about it either. At least I am off all weekend so I hope that helps him.

As soon as finances settle vet check. Other then work schedule nothing has changed. Normal poo, socializing and eating.

Thanks all!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sure my change in work schedule is what has him upset.
I think you're right. Those are difficult hours to get flock time in before work. I'm hoping those hours aren't permanent for you. Any chance you could get someone to come in at least for breakfast and spend time with him while he eats?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I know 4:30 am is early but we do spend time together, I don't leave for work til 6:15am. I keep the same routine as on the weekends. Except for the time. He knows when I am getting up. I turn on a soft lamp, tell him good morning, brush my teeth, I have to go to work. Then he gets out and I say do you want breakfast, goodies/yum yums, I hand feed him, then change his water and paper, tell me I'm getting in the shower, I talk to him all the time, great acoustics in the bathroom, LOL, I put on my make up all the while chatting, then I eat and get ready to go out. He gets in his cage, I say I have to go by by and now he has a special chirp, like he is saying bye bye.