• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco is now on the floor! Help!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Another thing I learned, when he was on the floor yesterday, I was still in jammies. I sit on the floor with him so we can get to know each other better. Yep you got it, the beak is a powerful thing. Will only sit on floor now with jeans on.

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I thought of a play pen, but a top will freak him out. I was thinking of some kind of bumper pads? He doesn't chew on anything. I bet though if I change anything he will not climb down and walk around. Since he doesn't know how to fly I worry about him not getting any exercise.

I have new toys and he won't go near them, chew blocks, nope, I use them in the corner of his cage to keep him from climbing down, guess he got over that fear since I found him on the flow twice this weekend. It was so funny, I walked in the room, he was on the floor, I jumped and he did too, I was hysterical with laughter!
So I have the same issue with my timnah. She just has to be on the floor so I found these tree trunk covers they have a slit all the way down and wrap them around the legs of the cage eureka I thought I had found the answer till yesterday. she put her foot on the top of one of these and then I'm not sure she flew down to the floor or fell down but she was down

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
African Greys and Timnehs are both ground foraging birds. Therefore they seek the ground naturally - pretty hard to change instinct.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oh I don't want to discourage him to get down to the floor, it is the only exercise he gets other then climbing around his cage and swinging upside down, he doesn't know how to fly.

I did put up a cut up card board box, that worked for a while but now he is not afraid of the card board and is chewing the dickens out of it.

Back to the drawing board on what kind of barriers I can put up around my room that are beak proof.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used clear plastic types of totes for Buddy to not "get" into things. I use my foodsaver for things like Massive amounts of food. Then store them in totes & use them to block things like under his cage where I don't like him to be. I use kids outlet covers to keep Buddy from sticking his tongue & beak in the one near his cage. He's almost always supervised these were precautionary. I know some have used things lime acrylic sheets to keep cords away from birds to keeping them from biting them ect...

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow Great idea. I do have cords blocked, he can't get to them. My biggest fear is that he will get under the bed.