• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Paco is Aaaamazing...most of the time!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well gang, update. Paco no longer slams my head when I clean his cage. No more chomps on my arm when I ask him to step up. Even though my work schedule is up and down I try to keep his routine the same. He has gotten so comfy with me that he sits in his cage in the morning with one foot up. I tell myself ok, let me reach in beside him and get his water bowl (screw in type) I was nervous, he just looked at me and I got the bowl out. I was beyond ecstatic.

He climbs to the floor all of the time if I don't go in the room, gently grasps my fingers and hands with his beak. Gotta keep the tootsies covered though.

He didn't want his weekly shower today but I'm not going to push it. I have noticed when I need to go to work and need him in his cage he balks. I honestly think he senses my anxiety. Will have to continue working on that.

Question my feathered friends. He lost his left wing feathers last year. They are slowly coming in and I noticed his shoulder feathers are not coming in like they should be. I don't think he is a plucker but more of a over preener. What can I do? I see no feathers at the bottom of his cage but he is still bald on his chest. Trying not to stress, over all he is happy, eating very well, he is still nervous sometimes around me. Who can blame him after 20 years of neglect?

Your advice as always is welcomed!

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I was beyond ecstatic.
:heart:
I'd be over the moon too!

Gotta keep the tootsies covered though.
Mee too:lol:

What can I do?
I've been following your story on and off (was without phone)... So not exactly sure but do you think Paco might enjoy something like this:
or this maybe

Loki loves undoing the wowen palm leaf. Keeps the beak busy and redirects his attention.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He is still terrified of toys, I don't now how to get him used to them. I have hung them outside I'd his cage, leave them on top in the back for months and he won't go near them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going well! What about trying some simple things like just weaving pieces of paper through his cage bars? Rosie, my tiel is still terrified of toys too, but he loves when I weave paper through his cage bars. I even do it sometimes for Elvis. I'm not sure if Greys are big paper chewers or not. Maybe cardboard?

scott199

Walking the driveway
im so happy for you, following this for ever and the turn around is such god news, long may it continue.

He is still terrified of toys, I don't now how to get him used to them. I have hung them outside I'd his cage, leave them on top in the back for months and he won't go near them.
Bert is the same, has no interest, i have found a few things he likes over time, but the last thing was this little clear tube with holes in, fill it with bits and treats and its the first time he's taken to anything new straight away, but only if its on the floor he rolls it around or chucks it around till nuts/treats fall out, this is probably the 10/15th forager ive tried and he's never touched any of them.

I find bert hate's anything hanging, i daily fold over used toilet rolls into little present type things and put nuts inside for him, he spend's 20/30 mins breaking it open to get the nuts. i decided to hang them around his cage from thin bits of leather, he freaked and ignored them, so i removed them, took the leather off and handed it back to him, all fine and munched away.

So maybe its just working out what he will play with ?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco will chew his paper at the bottom of his cage. I worry since I don't know if its out of frustration or boredom. I watch his behavior all of the time. I thought at first it was when I got home late from work on my late nights but he does it if I come home early or sometimes not at all. So I don't know why he does it. There is no grate for the bottom and I don't him being in the soiled paper even though I change it twice a day or more often if needed. He was neglected and left in a filthy cage, I always make sure my parrots are clean, debris is vacuumed up etc. I will try weaving the paper in the bars and see if that gets his attention. Thank you.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@scott199 Trust me I have tried, new toys, hanging, sitting, wood blocks, toilet paper rolls, empty water bottles, he growls and fluffs up like mad man. I'll just keep trying. Over all I think he is happy, he has gained weight, smells good, feathers are good except for the middle of his chest, shoulder shows over preening. He has fluffy feathers under his neck and they won't grow in.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If he chews paper, make some small paper toys that you can hang in the cage corners. Just scrunch some up and tie in the middle.
I hang whole phone books through the bars, but that might be too big for you guy yet.
Get some small bird toys, take off just one slice of thin wood, and hang it in an easily reachable spot.
Hang one stainless 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon up.
Sometimes less is better.

No matter, he sounds like he's doing so well and he's come so far. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh he has come a long way, I'm am so tickled. Today I went through our routine of tone to get in his cage I have to go bye bye and to my amazement he climbed down and swung into his cage onto his perch!!!!! I'm grinning like an idiot. Ofcourde it was for a cracker, low sodium but I needa healthier bribe.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
That must be so frustrating! :(

Paco will chew his paper at the bottom of his cage. I worry since I don't know if its out of frustration or boredom. I
Loki also does it. I think he's trying to escape :embarassed:..

If I were you I'd try with the simplest toy possible; a bit of sisal rope tied around a craker, placed on the bottom of the cage.. see how it goes. If Paco atleast undoes the rope you have a winner. With time maybe switch the craker with something else shreddable. Loki adores mahagony pods. Or sola maybe.. just one piece.. Maybe